SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cleat hitch

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TSchwarck 
#1 ·
My halyards terminate at the mast. The PO had the bitter end through the middle of the horn cleat with a stopper knot to keep the end from running up the mast. The problem is, that the stopper knot is so bulky it is difficult to tie the line to the cleat. Do I just need a bigger cleat, or am I missing something? (I will eventually be going to a slightly smaller diameter modern line)

#2 ·
It may be suitable to pull the "stopper knot" away from the cleat when belaying the halyard upon the cleat so you are dealing with just the presence of the line through the eye of the cleat and not the bulky knot. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

#3 ·
If I'm envisioning this right (?), you're talking about the "working end" at the base of the mast, that you pull on to raise sail and then cleat? If the halyard's long enough, you should have an extra 5-10 feet for cleating after main's been lowered and the hoisting end tied off, so the stopper knot at bitter end should be "irrelevant". If you lack this length, then you can cure it when you update to newer line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.