Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011

zibadun is on a distinguished road
when working on the hanks wrap one arm around the forestay - that should let you use both hands and not break the "one hand for the boat" rule.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I have had to go to the bow in rough weather a few times when I was alone. I have absolutely NO problem in popping out of the forward hatch and crawling the 6-7 feet to the bow. I tend to sit once I'm there to keep weight low. Oh, and DO clip on to something.

Mike
Old 07-28-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have absolutely NO problem in popping out of the forward hatch and crawling the 6-7 feet to the bow.
I think I am getting foredeck envy, mine is only 4-5 feet to the bow.
Old 07-28-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
place bottom firmly in bow pulpit facing aft feet spread apart jammed against toerails, if foresail was folded with some forethought, the luff will be accessible while most of sail remains in bag.
This is what I do. I sit right on the bottom rail of the pulpit. Keeps the wind out of my face, gives me both hands, and is actually kind of relaxing compared to squatting on the foredeck.

Everybody who told you to make sure you clip on is doing you a disservice, since I'm sure you're doing that already. Clipping on doesn't keep you in place, just makes it not impossible for your crew to find you, and slightly less impossible to climb back aboard solo.
Old 07-28-2011
Barquito

Quote:
Everybody who told you to make sure you clip on is doing you a disservice, since I'm sure you're doing that already. Clipping on doesn't keep you in place, just makes it not impossible for your crew to find you, and slightly less impossible to climb back aboard solo.
Maybe add a super short tether? I just can't imagine being out in the middle of Lake Michigan by myself, w/o being attached to the boat.
Old 07-28-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
.............Clipping on doesn't keep you in place, just makes it not impossible for your crew to find you, and slightly less impossible to climb back aboard solo.
Right! 'sounds like the man that won't wear a seatbelt on the highway. I never understood that as a way to celebratge freedom, but go ahead! 'knock yourself out! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-28-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is what I do. I sit right on the bottom rail of the pulpit. Keeps the wind out of my face, gives me both hands, and is actually kind of relaxing compared to squatting on the foredeck.

I admire a bit of good old fashioned bravado, but advising against clipping on at the bow in rough seas seems a tad reckless.
I suppose wearing a life jacket would be considered ostentatious.

Safe sailing
Old 07-28-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I didn't advise against clipping on, folks. I said that recommending it isn't helping. The conversation went kind of like this:

The OP: Hey, how do I stay safe working right at the forestay?

Everybody: Just clip in, you'll be fine.

Adam: Is that all? At least *one* person suggested using a rigid part of the boat for support.

Read before you comment, folks. Nowhere do I say not to clip in. I just pointed out that clipping in serves a different purpose than most folks here seems to believe.

The bow of my boat is about two feet wide where I'm kneeling to hank on a jib. Even a short tether is not going to do much to keep me on the deck.

FWIW I'm usually clipped in when out of the cockpit, but only for the reasons I mentioned, not because I believe it will prevent me from falling overboard.
Old 07-28-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
........ Clipping on doesn't keep you in place................
Actually, we are reading, but I think this phrase is where our thoughts diverged. You seem to favor being braced against strong points and being clipped in represents a safeguard that doesn't hold you in place and can even leave you suspended over the rail. You are absolutely right if this is the way you use the teather; however, if you have a short teather fixed to a strong point or even two teathers, then your pull in a stance against the hold of the teather will keep you in place. I don't think there is a big divide here, but just a different way that we might use the teather.

Last edited by CaptainForce; 07-28-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2011
Barquito

Quote:
The OP: Hey, how do I stay safe working right at the forestay?

Everybody: Just clip in, you'll be fine.

Adam: Is that all? At least *one* person suggested using a rigid part of the boat for support.
I agree. That is the problem, the tether keeps you safer up until you get far enough forward that you could go over the lifeline and just hang there. I doubt it would be safer to unclip at the bow, but I realize the tether won't always keep me on the boat that far up.