Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce:755889
if you have a short teather fixed to a strong point or even two teathers, then your pull in a stance against the hold of the teather will keep you in place. I don't think there is a big divide here, but just a different way that we might use the teather.
Interesting idea. At first thought it sounds tricky to set up and somewhat precarious, but I've never tried it so how would I know.
Old 07-29-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Just two attachment points a bit aft of the bow on either side would limit your movement to the center if you had two short tethers. The diagram might be over-optomistic showing the range of movement.
Attached Thumbnails
Staying onboard at the bow-bow.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2011

FoolishMuse is on a distinguished road
The first thing to do is get rid of the piston hanks on your sail. Piston hanks take two hands to operate and they can get jammed with salt.

Switch to Wichard hanks. They only take one hand to clip on or off and they never stick.

This change alone will solve all of your problems. I only use Wichard hanks on my Olson 30 and after some 1,000 sailing days I have NEVER had any of the problems that others claim to have with them.
Old 08-05-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Get your weight low (& you'll learn to use your toes almost dug into the deck). Hank on the tack first and quickly work your way to the head (already with halyard attached)

In reverse, try and have someone to grab the loose sail before it flogs itself or you!

I learnt on the bowsprit on this - there is a large genoa on the end of the bowsprit as well. I learnt a need for a sense of survival at an early age. To say one may get wet up on the bow is an inderstatement. It is cool!

Tell us/me more about sailing on this ship!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-06-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Tell us/me more about sailing on this ship!
Hiya Aeventyr

Waitoa is a Thursday Is. Pearling Lugger. I grew up with this gaff ketch. My Dad still has her, but he 'potters' about now. (Basically it needs a crew who know what they are doing)

She is part of the reason I never have had a wooden boat!

I still get to work/crew her of course (& it seems like I am treated like I am still a teenager and have to work the genny, sort the main and mizzen staysail, the topsail if we fly it as well as fetch any drinks etc etc.- all at the same time)

She is a lovely boat and undeniabely has soul. I would never have got the 'bug' to go cruising if not for 'Waitoa' She has been a major part of my family's 'life' for ever. She is moored on the same row as my yacht so Dad checks my yacht, I check 'Waitoa'.

She was built in 1905, rebuilt in 1925 with NZ Kauri.

She saw WW2 war service in what you yanks would call clandestine service as did many luggers. She was pearling until about the mid 1960's.

My Dad rebuilt the main mast, the deck, new cabins, bowsprit, rebuilt engine, gear box. wheel instead of tiller etc etc over the years. I assisted.

We first put a winch and an anchor windlass on about 1990.

My Dad is a tough old school fellow.[what many Ozzies would call a 'bushy'] Like many fathers and sons, we rarely agree on things, but the older I get, the more I respect him. With 'Waitoa' a 25t gaff ketch, he could run rings about many modern tupperware things, as long as there is a bit of breeze.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info! Looks like an interesting boat to sail. saw a few of these on my voyage in OZ.
Cheers,
Matt

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-08-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The first thing to do is get rid of the piston hanks on your sail. Piston hanks take two hands to operate and they can get jammed with salt.
That is a good idea. I may be looking into some sail repairs, and will consider that.

BTW, your singlehanding tome is awsome.