Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011

markchicago is on a distinguished road
Questions about new purchase

Hello All,

I recently bought a 1972 Panther made by Nautical Boat Works it about 14 LOA. Its a sunfish type boat. The question I have is that it has a thruhull fitting that comes up to the back left corner of the cockpit. I'm new to this type of sailboat. When in the water it takes on a ton of water in the hull which complicates dragging it out onto my dock in Canada where I was planning on keeping it in season. Is this the intended design for ballast or do I have some issue?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
mark
First welcome to Sailnet and sailing. I'm not familiar with the boat that you bought but if like a Sunfish the cockpit drain is of the self bailing type. You would open it when you are moving and the water drains out. If you are getting water into the hull then it sounds as thou you might have a problem, maybe taken apart and re-bedded. You might want to make sure the hull is dry before reinstalling.
Have fun sailing
Peter
Old 07-20-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
I would totally discard the idea the it might be intended as ballast in a boat of that type.

Not so sure the proper term for what you have is a thru hull, which may throw off those who try to answer your post. Sounds like a simple cocpit drain.

There should be NO water in the hull. Please clarify whether you mean there is water in the cockpit or the hull.

If all you have is a cockpit drain that lets water into the cockpit, just plug the darn thing and carry a small bailing bucket or a large sponge with you.

If water is entering the hull, either through a faulty cockpit drain or some other point, the leak must be found and repaired. I would hope that the hull is NOT filled completely or even partially with some type of foam, as I have seen foam get waterlogged and drying it is difficult. If that's the cace, the boat might have to have it's deck removed to make the repair.

So, please clarify where the water actually is, and whether you've been able to remove it after sailing.
Old 07-20-2011

markchicago is on a distinguished road
Thanks

The water is in the hull and exits from a plug in the transom. From what I can gather is this is an auto bailer set up which is missing obviously. Not sure about foam but will check. Solution I believe for now is to plug the port and reasses over the winter. The cockpit isnt so big that I need a bailer in the summer at least. It seemed no way this could be the design but the plug in the transom gave me pause since I didnt see how any water could get in otherwise except at the mast if at all. Thanks
Old 07-20-2011

0verdrive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by markchicago View Post
The water is in the hull and exits from a plug in the transom. From what I can gather is this is an auto bailer set up which is missing obviously. Not sure about foam but will check. Solution I believe for now is to plug the port and reasses over the winter. The cockpit isnt so big that I need a bailer in the summer at least. It seemed no way this could be the design but the plug in the transom gave me pause since I didnt see how any water could get in otherwise except at the mast if at all. Thanks
My Laser II has a hull drain in the transom that looks like this:

If this is what you're referring to, it should also have a plug that looks like this:

If you don't have the plug, you could probably replace the plug and housing somewhere like here
Old 07-30-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
These type of boats are notorious leakers - google fix 'leaks on a sunfish"

and "installing inspection port on a sunfish"

I am guessing that the fixes might be similar