SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Looking for NJ Sailing Club (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/77980-looking-nj-sailing-club.html)

Beaverkill 08-26-2011 11:01 AM

Looking for NJ Sailing Club
 
Beginning sailor looking for a sailing club near Manasquan or Northern Barnegat Bay area...All I seem to find are Yacht Clubs. They seem to have good sailing programs but was wondering if there was a less expensive option...I would like to join a club that will give me access to experienced sailors and hopefully get some experience on different style boats so I can make an educated decision on what boat is best for my situation..I appreciate any advice. Thank you. Dan

ottos 08-30-2011 01:02 PM

While I don't know how the costs compare, you could look into Nelson Sailing Center in Island Heights. That is where I've take several ASA courses and had a good experience. They also have a rental fleet.

CalebD 08-30-2011 02:16 PM

It might be pretty far away from you but you might look into the Nyack Boat Club.
Nyack Boat Club

Beaverkill 08-31-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

It might be pretty far away from you but you might look into the Nyack Boat Club.
Nyack Boat Club
Nyack is a little far especially when we have the Barnegat so close...but thanks for the recommendation..


Quote:

you could look into Nelson Sailing Center in Island Heights.
I have been looking at Nelsons and/or NJ Sailing School for lessons..I heard good things about both

I am going to try and hook up and crew with some experienced sailors..I may have to bug some Sailnet members or crash some Yacht Clubs and buy a few rounds..

I did find a a local club, Hunterdon Sailing Club Hunterdon Sailing Club | The best sailing in northern New Jersey , that is very close to my current home but we are putting the house up for sale this week and hope to be "down the shore" by the holidays or Spring the latest...Anyone belong to Hunterdon? Any thoughts or suggestions?

We may have to bite the bullet and just join one of the Yacht Clubs, the kids will just have to work their way through college..lol

Tempest 08-31-2011 10:18 AM

I think NJ sailing school has a club attached to the school...they used to have mentors that would go out with their rental customers until they built skill and confidence and were approved to take the boats out by themselves. They have 26' pearsons and 22' capri's
They are on the Metedeconk River now.

True North Sailing School in Jersey City has a Club, they sail in NY harbor..( an hour from Barnegat, I know) They have 4 J-24's. Membership is pretty reasonable if you use it.
You'd get to sail in trickier waters and learn a little more about tides and currents, Rules of the road..etc..

Beaverkill 08-31-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest (Post 768356)
I think NJ sailing school has a club attached to the school...they used to have mentors that would go out with their rental customers until they built skill and confidence and were approved to take the boats out by themselves. They have 26' pearsons and 22' capri's
They are on the Metedeconk River now.

True North Sailing School in Jersey City has a Club, they sail in NY harbor..( an hour from Barnegat, I know) They have 4 J-24's. Membership is pretty reasonable if you use it.
You'd get to sail in trickier waters and learn a little more about tides and currents, Rules of the road..etc..

Thank You...I will check it out...I see you are in Morgan, I work in Woodbridge, so if you are looking for inexperienced crew member for late afternoon or evenings, let me know...Also, Gladly swap fly fishing lessons (I am a part-time fly fishing instructor and direct all schools, programs and trips for a local fly shop) for sailing experience...

deniseO30 08-31-2011 10:58 AM

Corinthian Yacht Club - HomeIt's a sailing only club.. I don't know anything about it otherwise. but it's club house and grounds are mansion like.

Beaverkill 08-31-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 768378)
Corinthian Yacht Club - HomeIt's a sailing only club.. I don't know anything about it otherwise. but it's club house and grounds are mansion like.

All I can say is WOW..Beautiful looking clubhouse...its about an 1 1/2 hours west..Thank You

deniseO30 08-31-2011 11:12 AM

this may be what your looking for! BBYRA - Current and Past Sailing Fleets

Beaverkill 08-31-2011 11:39 AM

Thanks Denise...I have looked at BBYRA website and have targeted a couple of their member Yacht Clubs...I was hoping to find a less expensive option, such as a local or community sailing club but it looks like the Yacht Clubs are the only options in my neighborhood.

Some of the schools have rental programs, which is an option...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012