Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011

cd66312 is on a distinguished road
Newish to Sailing, Any clubs near Jordan Lake NC?

My parents parked a Galilee 15 in my yard about 1 year ago, after my dad broke the dagger board. Anyways, I got tired of seeing it out their and rigged a 2x8 as a dagger board and started to sail it this summer. I have since got a nice wooden dagger board built, and about a month ago picked up a RK20 (similar to balboa/ensenada 20) in the hopes that I could trailer to the coast and maybe sail to some of the islands.

I've been going out with a friend of mine and as of now, we can get to where we want to go, but might just be developing bad habits as we have never sailed with anyone who actually had prior sailing experience.

Being a bit juvenile, we enjoy having these boats heeled as far over as possible, and luckily haven't had mishaps with the rk20 yet, but have flipped over the dingy a few times, seems like gusts are always our downfall, we can get going good on a reach and a gust is enough to cause of to panic, usually resulting in an unmanned tiller while we try to release the jib.

Anyways, point is, I want to learn how to better deal with these kinds of situations before I head out to sea where we cant get towed back in a moments notice. If anyone knows of sailing clubs nearby that would be great.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook