Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011

Beaverkill is on a distinguished road
Sailing Books

What do you recommend for your basic "How to Sail" book or videos? I currently am finishing Gary Jobson's Fundamentals of Sailing and have learned alot but I am a research nut and like get as many resources as possible...

Also do you have a book that you routinely refer to and consider a must have resource for any sailor?

Thanks. Dan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2011

InkyMatt is on a distinguished road
Sailing For Dummies was good overall.
"The Sailing Bible," by Jeremy Evans (and others), was nicely divided into chapters with some more relevant than others. Not as in-depth as the others, but logical and encompasses a lot of different aspects of sailing.
"The Complete Sailor" by David Seidman was probably the best of the three instructionals I have. It was easy to follow, and went into detail about the more complicated aspects.

I'm still in my first year of sailing, so I'll reach for any of them to investigate the new things i'm learning.

Last edited by InkyMatt; 08-31-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
There is a Recommended Reading thread here.

YMMV

Welcome to the asylum.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverkill View Post
Also do you have a book that you routinely refer to and consider a must have resource for any sailor?

Thanks. Dan
Look through the thread that cb posted above. The books I reference most often are Chapman's and Brion Toss' The Complete Rigger's Apprentice. Toss also has DVDs for rig tuning, rigging, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 08-31-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2011

Beaverkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
There is a Recommended Reading thread here.

YMMV

Welcome to the asylum.
Thank you!!! I searched before I posted but that thread didnt come up...
Old 09-01-2011

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
IMHO the definite reference book is "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship" by the respected author and very modest sailnet community member "Captain John" John Rousmaniere.
Seidman's "The Complete Sailor" is indeed a very useful elementary+ source of knowledge, but Sleight's DK edition "Sailing Manual" can be also of much help.
Beaverkill likes this.
Old 09-01-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
don't worry too much about the "perfect" book as you learn to sail. A "pretty good" book will work just as well. The main point is to get out and sail, and ultimately that tiller, sheet, and "rail meat" time will be the main education, which you then check back against the book to get the "uh-huh" that confirms you actually learned it out on the water.

I know this sounds kinda "do first, read about it later", it isn't totally, but I find there's only so much "book" new sailors can take especially at the very start, before they just gotta get out and actually do it. Some teach it the other way I guess, I've just found this way seems to work.
Old 09-01-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
don't worry too much about the "perfect" book as you learn to sail. A "pretty good" book will work just as well. The main point is to get out and sail, and ultimately that tiller, sheet, and "rail meat" time will be the main education, which you then check back against the book to get the "uh-huh" that confirms you actually learned it out on the water.
I agree with nolatom. I amassed a pretty good sailing library before I bought my first boat. I didn't understand half of what I read and finally stopped reading the books altogether. Once I bought the boat, took some classes and got on the water things started to click and I returned to the books with a better appreciation and understanding of what I was reading.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-01-2011

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road
Another vote for The Complete Sailor here. I pick that book up over and over again. It's a joy to read, and I'm still learning/remembering stuff from it.
Old 09-01-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Once you get through your beginners books that you listed....as has been said, get out and sail. You'll put these lessons to use and future readings will mean so much more because you'll have practical experience to relate to what you read.

Move up a notch to The Annapolis Book of Seamanship. Study this one and watch the (5) DVD's. Read, learn, sail/practice then re-read top reinforce the subject matter.

I am now studying Practical Seamanship by Steve and Linda Dashew. Great book, and I finally was able to get a few coupons and discounts to score it for less than $30. It's a really good one...the one to keep on board...but it's not really for beginners. They assume a certain level of knowledge already exists and just expand/clarify more on the topics...so once you're done with Annapolis, Practical Seamanship is a good next step.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas