Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
When visiting a neighbor, I think one should bring essentially an equivalent to what they might consume. for example, we brought a bottle of wine with us to our neighbors boat, but had a couple of their beers. They never opened it, but we left it for them.

I would never expect a guest to bring their own tableware, unless I asked. I would if we were short, otherwise, washing dishes is a simple price of being social.

Here is my biggest advice and pet peeve. Never ever ask or expect to take back the remainder of whatever you brought that wasn't finished. There may be an exception for something very valuable that wouldn't be expected to finish, such as bringing your half consumed bottle of Remi XO for after dinner drinks. However, your contribution should be approximate to accommodate your overall consumption and planned to leave behind no matter what.

For example, we had a couple bring a pie. We served about half of it to the four of us and when leaving they quickly grabbed what was left and took it back. We, however, served coffee and after dinner drinks to them and were taken back by them rescinding about $2 in pie. Yes, we also washed the dishes they used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Things not to do... many have been mentioned already.

1. Loud voices or music in the evening or early morning in the anchorage or at the dock.
2. Likewise running engine or generator to recharge batteries or run appliances.
3. Leave docking lines loose on the dock or finger where others can trip over them.
4. Allow halyards to clank in the wind.
5. Wakes, either from your boat or dingy.
6. dinghy motors as in #1 or #2.
7. Pets.
8. Inappropriate use of the VHF.
9. Blind other skippers at night with a spotlight.
10. Not leaving room for other traffic in tight channels.
11. Get in the way of commercial traffic.

I've only done about half of those I think. ;-)
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2011

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
The Bear's two cents:
As d hays states above. Basicly the "golden rule applies: Do unto others as you would have them do to you. Safety first, Polite, a close second, fun and enjoyment when ever possible. Help when you can but don't impose except when safety for you and them is envolved , learn from each other, share what you know and be open minded, even when "stink potters" are involved. We, rag boaters, are a small community but be ever mindful that we can and should lead the way to a pleasent and joyful time on the water for all.
Old 09-15-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Generator etiquette.

I agree that a motor running in a silent anchorage, when all are relaxing and trying to take in the solitude is bad form.

However, I think many take this notion to an extreme and wouldn't like to hear a generator at any time. I do not think you have to try to make everyone happy. You are allowed to play music in your apartment during the day, despite whether others can hear it. You should respect the evening hours. Same principal applies.

Here's an anecdote. On our trip this past June to Maine, we were anchored in Seal Bay and were absolutely alone until about 9pm, when another boat arrived. This is probably one of the most secluded, quiet, peaceful places I've been on earth.

When we woke the next morning, we were freezing. Temps around 50, overcast, drizzle and 100% humidity. We threw on sweatshirts, hats, etc and just couldn't get warm, because they were all slightly damp. We suffered for an hour, because we didn't want to start the generator to run the heat pump to warm up the boat and disturb our neighbor.

After we thought we couldn't stand the cold any longer, we were looking over to see if our neighbors were at least awake and I noticed some ripples around their transom. I pulled out the binoculars and they were already running their generator!!!!! We couldn't even hear it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-15-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Learn to get along with a diverse group of people.....lend a helping hand, expect nothing in return, be tolerant of your neighbors, be generous with your knowledge and experience, accept the kindness of strangers and return the same unknown to you...were all in the same boat!

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-15-2011

sailor25b is on a distinguished road
When I hear these weekend yahoos breaking into ch. 16 for radio checks, I have been tempted to reply with, "The radio works fine, Captain. Now go figure out how to use it."
I know, however, that I would be violating the proper radio procedure that I want him to follow.
Old 09-15-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
*Never assume you know more than the other person
*Know that "morning" has a lot of different meanings (just like "bedtime")
*Hold that opinion in, until it's been requested (twice isn't a bad idea)
*Recognize that not everyone is a "social butterfly"....some folks like seclusion
Old 09-15-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
BRING BOOZE! (and naked chicks!)
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-15-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
If you're going ashore to the store, you could ask your closest neighbors if they'd like you to pick up anything. Or ditto if making a trash run. Or internet stuff if you have access and they don't. Stuff like that. It's not unique to boats, just harder to do than ashore and therefore more of a favor whether given or received.
Old 09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
....*Hold that opinion in, until it's been requested (twice isn't a bad idea)....
This is the best advice on the board. Of course, this is also why we come here. We can get it all off our chest before we lose all of our friends in person.

Jeanneau 54DS

Tags
customs , etiquette , mistake , pet peeves , rules