etiquette? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 Old 09-15-2011
Senior Member
 
Tim R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Naked chicks is all you need.

No one seems to mind our presence when my wife is showering on the transom. Then it is my turn and soon we have the anchorage to ourselves. Maybe I should reverse that order.

We live aboard and never expect anyone to bring anything(including dishes). It is always nice when they offer and I do not remember a time when no offer was made.

Find a way to ditch the generator. You really should not need it to charge batteries if you have an auxiliary. If your engine is a diesel then you do not need to carry extra gasoline for the gen. Honda "quiet" generators are probably the noisiest generators on the water.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Tim R. is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 50 Old 09-15-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,227
Thanks: 46
Thanked 237 Times in 222 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
.....Find a way to ditch the generator......
This is sort of my point. I respect your opinion, but won't be able to make you happy if you're anchored next to me. I will only run it during hours that should be commonly fair game. I would never run it at night. However, I choose to cruise differently than you do. I have an ice maker, microwave, air conditioning, a heat pump, etc that make our travels comfortable. Our boat is our second home, not a camp site. However, I love camp sites. It just isn't our choice for the boat.

Ironically, it is very likely that someone's dinghy slapping against the waves behind their transom is making much more noise than my running generator. In fact, I find the noise from most wind generators to be the most annoying on the water and notably louder than my genset.

We all need to get along and I've found that we overwhelmingly do. None of us can please everyone.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #33 of 50 Old 09-15-2011
Senior Member
 
Tim R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This is sort of my point. I respect your opinion, but won't be able to make you happy if you're anchored next to me. I will only run it during hours that should be commonly fair game. I would never run it at night. However, I choose to cruise differently than you do. I have an ice maker, microwave, air conditioning, a heat pump, etc that make our travels comfortable. Our boat is our second home, not a camp site. However, I love camp sites. It just isn't our choice for the boat.

Ironically, it is very likely that someone's dinghy slapping against the waves behind their transom is making much more noise than my running generator. In fact, I find the noise from most wind generators to be the most annoying on the water and notably louder than my genset.

We all need to get along and I've found that we overwhelmingly do. None of us can please everyone.
Well, our boat is our primary home and we have all the same conveniences that you do. Our solar panels provide enough power for our freezer and refrigerator plus some. We have a reverse cycle heat/ac but choose not to use it while out on the hook as it would require us to run our engine driven generator. AC in Maine is not critical. We also have a diesel fired heater that is very quiet that extends our season to Dec. We do not use the microwave, TV, or other 110v appliances while on the hook just because it would require that generator.

Are you sure you are overwhelmingly getting along or are the folks that you are bothering just too polite to say something.

Honestly, do you really need that stuff? Isn't cruising about getting away from things like that? I certainly would not consider it camping without those conveniences.

And what about the fumes?

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Tim R. is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #34 of 50 Old 09-15-2011
Dragon Mod
 
DRFerron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,726
Thanks: 110
Thanked 212 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Honestly, do you really need that stuff? Isn't cruising about getting away from things like that?
It's my belief that cruising is what the individual sailor wants it to be and THAT's the joy of cruising. There are as many different ways to cruise as there are personalities on boats.
mgmhead, ottos and Minnewaska like this.

Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
DRFerron is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #35 of 50 Old 09-15-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,227
Thanks: 46
Thanked 237 Times in 222 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Well, our boat is our primary home and we have all the same conveniences that you do. Our solar panels provide enough power for our freezer and refrigerator plus some. We have a reverse cycle heat/ac but choose not to use it while out on the hook as it would require us to run our engine driven generator. AC in Maine is not critical. We also have a diesel fired heater that is very quiet that extends our season to Dec. We do not use the microwave, TV, or other 110v appliances while on the hook just because it would require that generator.

Are you sure you are overwhelmingly getting along or are the folks that you are bothering just too polite to say something.

Honestly, do you really need that stuff? Isn't cruising about getting away from things like that? I certainly would not consider it camping without those conveniences.

And what about the fumes?
Cruising for you is getting away from these things, but not for me. Can't we co-exist?

Yes, I am sure that I overwhelmingly get along with all the boats around me. In fact, most seem to have generators here and I've never felt the need to chastise those with noisy wind generators or slapping dinghys.

I've also never noticed the exhaust from our genset, ever. As you mention it, I have noticed it from our main engine with a following wind. That is never the case on the hook.

I respect that you are doing it your way. Doesn't make it the only way or the right way, just your way. If you're happy with it, I'm happy for you. Only ask the same in return.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #36 of 50 Old 09-15-2011
Senior Member
 
Tim R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
It's my belief that cruising is what the individual sailor wants it to be and THAT's the joy of cruising. There are as many different ways to cruise as there are personalities on boats.
Ok, I can respect this. But ones idea of cruising should not interfere with others.

I am in a quiet anchorage and a boat pulls up right next to me and runs their genset or wind generator or loud stereo or even loud conversations and I will move and not be happy about it. If you want to use these conveniences then assume no one wants to hear them and anchor away from other boats.

No one ever moved away from me because I am being too quiet.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Tim R. is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #37 of 50 Old 09-15-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,227
Thanks: 46
Thanked 237 Times in 222 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
...I am in a quiet anchorage and a boat pulls up right next to me and runs their genset or wind generator or loud stereo or even loud conversations and I will move and not be happy about it. If you want to use these conveniences then assume no one wants to hear them and anchor away from other boats.....
Interesting etiquette question. If I get there first, can I run my genset and play my stereo and you have to anchor away?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #38 of 50 Old 09-15-2011
Senior Member
 
Tim R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Interesting etiquette question. If I get there first, can I run my genset and play my stereo and you have to anchor away?
Yup, but do not think any less of me because I do. Just looking for a different experience. Nothing personal. In fact we would probably meet up on the beach and share some nice beers and talk sailing.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Tim R. is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #39 of 50 Old 09-15-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,227
Thanks: 46
Thanked 237 Times in 222 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Yup, but do not think any less of me because I do. Just looking for a different experience. Nothing personal. In fact we would probably meet up on the beach and share some nice beers and talk sailing.
I'll shake on that. Look forward to it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #40 of 50 Old 09-16-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Minnewasha


"After we thought we couldn't stand the cold any longer, we were looking over to see if our neighbors were at least awake and I noticed some ripples around their transom. I pulled out the binoculars and they were already running their generator!!!!! We couldn't even hear it. "
Did you happen to get the make and model of that generator and/or how they had it mounted; I want one of those.
RedtheBear is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Tags
customs , etiquette , mistake , pet peeves , rules

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anchoring Etiquette tdw General Discussion (sailing related) 22 08-04-2011 07:39 PM
Flag Etiquette?? Dmarina General Discussion (sailing related) 8 11-08-2008 06:58 PM
VHF Etiquette BlueWaterMD Seamanship & Navigation 25 11-05-2008 09:03 AM
Flag etiquette timangiel Gear & Maintenance 31 02-26-2008 12:31 AM
Etiquette in helping out Ilenart General Discussion (sailing related) 28 12-02-2007 02:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome