Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Naked chicks is all you need.

No one seems to mind our presence when my wife is showering on the transom. Then it is my turn and soon we have the anchorage to ourselves. Maybe I should reverse that order.

We live aboard and never expect anyone to bring anything(including dishes). It is always nice when they offer and I do not remember a time when no offer was made.

Find a way to ditch the generator. You really should not need it to charge batteries if you have an auxiliary. If your engine is a diesel then you do not need to carry extra gasoline for the gen. Honda "quiet" generators are probably the noisiest generators on the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
.....Find a way to ditch the generator......
This is sort of my point. I respect your opinion, but won't be able to make you happy if you're anchored next to me. I will only run it during hours that should be commonly fair game. I would never run it at night. However, I choose to cruise differently than you do. I have an ice maker, microwave, air conditioning, a heat pump, etc that make our travels comfortable. Our boat is our second home, not a camp site. However, I love camp sites. It just isn't our choice for the boat.

Ironically, it is very likely that someone's dinghy slapping against the waves behind their transom is making much more noise than my running generator. In fact, I find the noise from most wind generators to be the most annoying on the water and notably louder than my genset.

We all need to get along and I've found that we overwhelmingly do. None of us can please everyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This is sort of my point. I respect your opinion, but won't be able to make you happy if you're anchored next to me. I will only run it during hours that should be commonly fair game. I would never run it at night. However, I choose to cruise differently than you do. I have an ice maker, microwave, air conditioning, a heat pump, etc that make our travels comfortable. Our boat is our second home, not a camp site. However, I love camp sites. It just isn't our choice for the boat.

Ironically, it is very likely that someone's dinghy slapping against the waves behind their transom is making much more noise than my running generator. In fact, I find the noise from most wind generators to be the most annoying on the water and notably louder than my genset.

We all need to get along and I've found that we overwhelmingly do. None of us can please everyone.
Well, our boat is our primary home and we have all the same conveniences that you do. Our solar panels provide enough power for our freezer and refrigerator plus some. We have a reverse cycle heat/ac but choose not to use it while out on the hook as it would require us to run our engine driven generator. AC in Maine is not critical. We also have a diesel fired heater that is very quiet that extends our season to Dec. We do not use the microwave, TV, or other 110v appliances while on the hook just because it would require that generator.

Are you sure you are overwhelmingly getting along or are the folks that you are bothering just too polite to say something.

Honestly, do you really need that stuff? Isn't cruising about getting away from things like that? I certainly would not consider it camping without those conveniences.

And what about the fumes?

Old 09-15-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Honestly, do you really need that stuff? Isn't cruising about getting away from things like that?
It's my belief that cruising is what the individual sailor wants it to be and THAT's the joy of cruising. There are as many different ways to cruise as there are personalities on boats.
mgmhead, ottos and Minnewaska like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-15-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Well, our boat is our primary home and we have all the same conveniences that you do. Our solar panels provide enough power for our freezer and refrigerator plus some. We have a reverse cycle heat/ac but choose not to use it while out on the hook as it would require us to run our engine driven generator. AC in Maine is not critical. We also have a diesel fired heater that is very quiet that extends our season to Dec. We do not use the microwave, TV, or other 110v appliances while on the hook just because it would require that generator.

Are you sure you are overwhelmingly getting along or are the folks that you are bothering just too polite to say something.

Honestly, do you really need that stuff? Isn't cruising about getting away from things like that? I certainly would not consider it camping without those conveniences.

And what about the fumes?
Cruising for you is getting away from these things, but not for me. Can't we co-exist?

Yes, I am sure that I overwhelmingly get along with all the boats around me. In fact, most seem to have generators here and I've never felt the need to chastise those with noisy wind generators or slapping dinghys.

I've also never noticed the exhaust from our genset, ever. As you mention it, I have noticed it from our main engine with a following wind. That is never the case on the hook.

I respect that you are doing it your way. Doesn't make it the only way or the right way, just your way. If you're happy with it, I'm happy for you. Only ask the same in return.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
It's my belief that cruising is what the individual sailor wants it to be and THAT's the joy of cruising. There are as many different ways to cruise as there are personalities on boats.
Ok, I can respect this. But ones idea of cruising should not interfere with others.

I am in a quiet anchorage and a boat pulls up right next to me and runs their genset or wind generator or loud stereo or even loud conversations and I will move and not be happy about it. If you want to use these conveniences then assume no one wants to hear them and anchor away from other boats.

No one ever moved away from me because I am being too quiet.

Old 09-15-2011

Quote:
...I am in a quiet anchorage and a boat pulls up right next to me and runs their genset or wind generator or loud stereo or even loud conversations and I will move and not be happy about it. If you want to use these conveniences then assume no one wants to hear them and anchor away from other boats.....
Interesting etiquette question. If I get there first, can I run my genset and play my stereo and you have to anchor away?

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Interesting etiquette question. If I get there first, can I run my genset and play my stereo and you have to anchor away?
Yup, but do not think any less of me because I do. Just looking for a different experience. Nothing personal. In fact we would probably meet up on the beach and share some nice beers and talk sailing.

Old 09-15-2011

Quote:
Yup, but do not think any less of me because I do. Just looking for a different experience. Nothing personal. In fact we would probably meet up on the beach and share some nice beers and talk sailing.
I'll shake on that. Look forward to it.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-16-2011

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
Minnewasha

"After we thought we couldn't stand the cold any longer, we were looking over to see if our neighbors were at least awake and I noticed some ripples around their transom. I pulled out the binoculars and they were already running their generator!!!!! We couldn't even hear it. "
Did you happen to get the make and model of that generator and/or how they had it mounted; I want one of those.

Tags
customs , etiquette , mistake , pet peeves , rules