Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011

luck66 is on a distinguished road
You will sail more if the wife is happy. Go in when she wants to.
Some times sailing is something you and your wife can not do together. My wife has trouble with sailing, so i go solo most of the time. We do other things together that we both enjoy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2011

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
The time to reef is at the moment that you think it might be time to reef. If you are inexperienced (or your passengers or crew are inexperienced), reef early. Additionally if you are in heavy winds where the rudder is exposed, reefing will make the boat handle better and alloow you to sail faster. The boat wont be over powered and over heeled. Everyone will have a better time.
I agree, reef early. So many people I know make a big deal out of it, mainly because they never reef so they resist. Do it a few times and get comfortable.

If it's blowing, or I think it will be when I get out of the sheltered area, I'll reef right at the dock or mooring. I don't even raise the sail all the way. And I use a working jib, not a genoa. ( I like hank ons!). It's amazing how well you will sail with reduced sail area, the boat stands up and flies. If you can hit hull speed reefed, there is no point in fighting things and struggling for control. You're supposed to be enjoying yourself.

If the wind drops, or turns out less than you thought, it's easy to shake out a reef. But trying to reef with scared help in high winds is not pleasant.

Last edited by skygazer; 12-07-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2011

INMA is on a distinguished road
I can't comment on the J22 but I have owned, raced and cruised in a J24 and they are a good yacht that handles well when reefed. The reason I bought my J24 was the lack of windows, many nights sleeping dry proved it to be a good decision.

2 reefs in and I have safely got home in 30+ knots without crew.

As novices, its worth setting at least the first reef in before leaving the jetty if the winds outside are lively. Its easy to shake a reef out and you know how to set it again if needed.

Regarding the comments about inclinometers and heeling, what rubbish. A yacht needs to be sailed in a manner that keeps all onboard safe and comfortable.

My current 24 foot yacht sails flat and fast reaching hull speed close hauled from about 8 knot to 20 knot winds and properly sailed she stays flat and fast.

In 20 knot winds she reaches at 10 to 12 knots hull speed flat and fast on main and jib.

My best run was in 20-25 knot winds under main and jib at 8 to 10 knot hull speed, again flat and fast for over 2 hours.

Sail an old fashioned keel boat and some heel is understandable but get in a more modern lighter yacht and enjoy speeds bigger yachts dream of, while relaxed at the tiller and flat and fast.

So a good skipper manages the yacht so everyone feels safe and comfortable, if that means reefing or motorsailing to give crew time to get use to a yacht and its motion that is ok. Changing course or staying in protected waters has no shame compared with upsetting crew.

A light yacht like the J24 is very safe when reefed and it can be sailed in comfort without putting the decks under. They can be sailed with rail meat to the point they submarine and sink, that is something the skipper controls, its not a characteristic of any particular yacht.

Last edited by INMA; 12-07-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2012

Merit25lovers is on a distinguished road
When in doubt - reef! Better to take the reef out after you are out in light wind, than trying to put the reef in after you are out in heavy wind!

If you didn't or couldn't reef and the wind gets too much for your comfort level, just let the boom out to dump the winfd out of the main (let the crew know so they can duck, and plan on a lot of noise from lufting), and drop the jib (just be sure to have one of your crew pulling it down as to not dump it in the drink!)