Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011

SFU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSchock View Post
If you are interested in Sailing One Design very imexpensively two Active and friendly Fleets in The Area are

Santana 525
Martin 242
Good idea, it must be fun !! I will check that out !
The Martin 242 look a little too racing oriented for the family trip. I will see.

If you are who I think you are, I must say that your Harbor 25 really catch my eye ! If I have 10 times my actual budget I would go for it.

All the best

SFU
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2011

tap is on a distinguished road
Follow the craigslist's boat section to find something. Almost all the boats in your size and price range go there, not through brokers. Be sure to watch the Seattle listings too. My experience has been that there are more boats than the Vancouver/Victoria area and the prices are better. For $10k, you should be able to get a decent 27' boat like a Cal 2-27 or an Ericson 27. You'll like the extra space with 3 kids.

Don't be seduced by a boat with a low price that "needs a little work". Bad idea!
Old 10-02-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
Follow the craigslist's boat section to find something. Almost all the boats in your size and price range go there, not through brokers. Be sure to watch the Seattle listings too. My experience has been that there are more boats than the Vancouver/Victoria area and the prices are better. For $10k, you should be able to get a decent 27' boat like a Cal 2-27 or an Ericson 27. You'll like the extra space with 3 kids.

Don't be seduced by a boat with a low price that "needs a little work". Bad idea!
The highlighted area is true but where are you going to berth it? There is nothing in Vancouver - you have to buy a boat with transferable moorage.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-02-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This is, unfortunately quite true... the only area that I know where people are having some luck finding space is under 27/28 feet and on the North Shore where the unavoidable fact of being behind tidal gates in either direction is a given.

These conditions are an even bigger disadvantage with a smaller, slower boat.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-02-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
'faut dire à Vancouver qu'il pleut plus qu'en Bretagne. C'est pour cela qu'on a des bimini avec rideaux. Si les régattes t'intéressent, il doit y avoir des J/24 (ou un bateau similaire qui se trouve dans les environs) disponible pour pas trop cher. C'est assez grand pour une petite famille pour sortir ensemble, et assez vite pour s'amuser. Bon vent!
Old 10-02-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
'faut dire à Vancouver qu'il pleut plus qu'en Bretagne. C'est pour cela qu'on a des bimini avec rideaux. Si les régattes t'intéressent, il doit y avoir des J/24 (ou un bateau similaire qui se trouve dans les environs) disponible pour pas trop cher. C'est assez grand pour une petite famille pour sortir ensemble, et assez vite pour s'amuser. Bon vent!
Show off!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Show off!!
He he Jealous !

Salut Paulk !

Français ou Quebecois ?
Thank a lot for the advices, I will check it out.
There isn't tons of below 30' boats advertised around it seems. But 2 or 3 are still coming out every week and I am a patient guy, so I won't rush anything.

And it's fun to look for a boat

A+

Stef
Old 10-03-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
The highlighted area is true but where are you going to berth it? There is nothing in Vancouver - you have to buy a boat with transferable moorage.
That is truer for larger boats (30' and up). There may be more room for smaller boats because everyone is moving up. You need to check around.

Next to our own boat (which we love!), I would suggest that the OP consider Catalina 27's. You can buy a good boat at the top end of the OP's budget, perhaps a bit more. A good, forgiving family boat,

OP, welcome to Vancouver. You'll love sailing here. Perhaps we'll see you on the water some day!

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjunkie View Post
I would suggest that the OP consider Catalina 27's.
Will do if one pop out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjunkie View Post
OP, welcome to Vancouver. You'll love sailing here. Perhaps we'll see you on the water some day!
Thx
If I see a blue boat with 3D and bow and arrows on her deck I will wave

SFU