Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Actually, reading the Annapolis Book of Seamanship is a great wintery thing to do
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2011

Cirdan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
Actually, reading the Annapolis Book of Seamanship is a great wintery thing to do

That's my plan, though it will be more of an autumn-y thing to do. Just completed ASA 101 and bought a used copy of this book. Plan to read (and re-read some sections) this fall and winter, as well as devour sites like this, then take ASA 103 & 104 in the spring/summer.
Old 10-04-2011
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
@Cirdan, I'm in wisconsin.. are you using Northern Breezes sailing school..? If so how did you like the keel boat 101..?
Old 10-04-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Squidd - I have used Northern Breezes here in Minneapolis for all of my classes, 101, 103, 104, 105, & 107. They have a boat club that lets me sail for a flat yearly fee as well. I found their instructors to be very knowledgeable and easy to get along with. Not sure what you will experience at the Wisconsin affiliate but, if you take your 103/104 up in Bayfield - Apostles, you will have a great experience.

My 2 cents and I don't have any affiliation with them other than a happy customer.

Cirdan - Where do you sail in MN?

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2011

Squidd, yes I went through Northern Breezes. I think they have courses on the St. Croix, but I took mine on Lake Minnetonka west of the Twin Cities.

The ASA 101 course was pretty easy. My only experience prior to 101 was a six hour private lesson on a dinghy. So it wasn't extremely challenging, but I'm glad I took it. It gave me 12 hours on the water, taught me about buoy markings, lights, etc. and just overall increased my comfort.

I'm hoping to do Northern Breezes vacation package in the Apostle Islands next summer. A four day combination of 103 & 104 to get me comfortable cruising. Then maybe I can convince wifey to buy a boat
Old 10-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Cirdan - Where do you sail in MN?
Great question. Currently a bit landlocked and I'm looking at my options for next summer. I have access to a cabin in Cornucopia, WI, west of Bayfield, as well as one on Lake Vermillion in northern MN. So, I'm hoping to make one of those my base of operations. But I need to weigh costs, feasibility of getting up there enough times in a summer to make it worthwhile, etc.

It's either that, or do some trailer sailing around the Cities, but I'm lukewarm on that idea. Means a smaller boat, hassles of trailering, crowded lakes. Luckily I have 6 months of winter to figure it out!

How about you?

Last edited by Cirdan; 10-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2011
Lake Sailor

Cirdan - You will really enjoy your time up in the Apostles for 103-104. The boat club is on Minnetonka at Shorewood where you took your 101 class. I am in the process of finding a boat myself and will probably keep it in Excelsior bay on a mooring buoy. I am looking at a 22-25 that is trailerable, done lots of research on that, as I would like to sail Mille Lacs, Leach, and do my own tour probably up on Superior. Cornicopia would be a nice place to keep a boat, have been there before. Off the path of the Apostles but you still are only a day sail away.

Drop me a PM and maybe we can get out sometime, though the season will be over in a about a week for the boat club...... There is always next year.

Edit: Not to rub it in but leaving work at 2 to go sailing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2011
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys that's the kind of responce I was hoping for..

Looking to do the 101 keelboat on the St Croix, Hudson or Afton, asap in the spring and then sign up for the BB charter course in the Apostles later next summer.. maybe we split a boat.. ??

Dave... what do you mean by "boat club" ...? kind of an open access charter for the season..?
Old 10-04-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Squidd, if you want to assemble some classic books on boating, there are ones like Chapman's that can be bought cheap one edition back, no big difference usually, from the online booksellers. And books on classic mistakes like "Fastnet Force 10", good winter reading even if it isn't telling you which lines to pull. USSA and others have some fine selections in books on racing strategy and tactics, and I think it is SAIL Magazine that published "The best of SAIL..." a nice paperback full of articles on sail trim.
Again all available new or used--and your local library may be able to pull the in for free from an interlibrary loan service, ask at the reference desk.
Old 10-05-2011
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Dave... what do you mean by "boat club" ...? kind of an open access charter for the season..?
Name's not Dave but I think you were asking me this...

I pay an annual flat fee and they have an online registration system for the 5 boats they have on Lake Minnetonka. 4-hours of use per reservation. 2 Ensign 23's, a Pearson 26, a Pearson 27 with inboard diesel and wheel steering, and an O'Day 28 with inboard diesel and wheel. You have to have 103 at least and a check ride to reserve the 27 & 28. It has been nice as you get to sail different boats. Check out the link on the NBSS website for the boat club.

Hope this is what you were asking.