Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
trusting your boat to keep you safe, goes a long way.
Excellent advice.
The boat becomes your world. The only thing that matters is what is happening on the thirty feet in front of you and the ten feet to each side.
You are on a floating miniature city where everything you need is right at your fingertips. Make sure you are always well stocked of provisions, fuel and fresh water. What else do you need? The boat will sustain you. I can screw up royally but my vessel always takes care of me. Even when things are turning to crap, learn to trust her and she will see you through. When out of sight of everything except blue, She is and she becomes your safe haven.
AdamLein likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here's one optional plan: sail upwind away from the harbor entrance (so that you're not in the way of other traffic) until you're about a mile away.
I would start by going out with no wind (motoring). Next time go out in an easy offshore breeze. You don't want to get a couple boat lengths outside the harbor and flub a tack on a lee shore. Makes me much more comfortable to have the rocks to weather.
Old 10-07-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
I've read about that exact problem. I was doing research on medieval pilgrimmages and ran across that exact phobia in a journal. The guy HATED crossings because he couldn't stop thinking about how six inches of hull was all that separated him from fathoms of ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Irrational fears can terminate one's sailing.

I had an acquaintance who was really keen. However on a passage from Hawaii he was in his berth when he realized that that only an inch of fiberglass was between him and 10,000 feet of water. He has not been on a boat since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 10-07-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherBowman View Post
he couldn't stop thinking about how six inches of hull was all that separated him from fathoms of ocean.
He would have thanked his lucky stars if he only knew how thin hulls would get
Old 10-07-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
THANKS guys! I have actually been out of the harbor to the first buoy, maybe 1/4 mile or so from the harbor entrance...well because of the heavy motorboat traffic and the way the harbor is shaped, the entrance/exit is always pretty choppy. I was with the wife the other day and she was all for heading out...I think she just says that so I don't feel apprehensive, but we were headed out and I LOOKED at some sailboats coming in and was watching their bows dive under the waves in the chop...and I turned around....I enjoy the harbor sails, and I do that singlehanded most days, I just want to get out of the harbor and sail comfortably up and down the coast...also to Catalina if I can before the Santa Ana winds hit....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
This is why kids need to be taught science, even quantun science, when they are young.

Your feet are composed of mainly empty space between the atoms. The floor is composed similarly of mainly empty space between the atoms. Yet somehow, when you get out of bed in the morning and put your feet on the floor, you usually stand up on the floor, and very rarely sink into those empty spaces and ozze down into the floor.

The atttractions, the repulses, the forces, all count for more than the illusion of a solid floor and solid feet. You've got a solid boat, bouyancy, lots of water....shouldn't be an issue.

When I started sailing my mother asked me how could I go to sleep in such a little boat in the middle of the ocean. I said it is easier than sleeping at home.

At home, there are garbage trucks, aircraft overhead, car horns, noisy neighbors, kitchen fires, the rare shooting, and I've got to ignore all that as well as wrong numbers on the phone and doorbell and doors slamming down the hall.

On the boat? If it is floating, no probelm. If it is leaking, simple choice of can I stop the leak of can't I? If I can stop the leak, I go back to sleep. If I can't stop the leak, simple choice again, do I abandon ship or not?

Everything is so much simpler on a boat. So much LESS to worry about.

Sure, I might drown. As least there's no next door neighbor starting a kitchen fire, overruning their bathtub, or playing Black Sabbath at 2AM.
Faster likes this.
Old 10-07-2011

SailBerkeley is on a distinguished road
Newportnewbie, The best way to reduce that anxiety of the Open Water is to creep out slightly farther with each sail. Over time your mind will build confidence and you'll feel more relaxed heading out into the open water.
Old 10-07-2011

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
i had a case of the horrers about 80 miles offshore doing the midnight to 6 watch on a tuna boat,dark as, sin deep in thought the wheelhouse was powered down ,just a few glows from instraments when all of a sudden deafinning roar overhead and the boat and surrounding 100 yards was lit up brighter than day..i went out onto the stern after a few seconds of shock and disbelif...it was a large cg helocopter looking for a mayday boat.i gave a huge wave and they roared off doing 20 mile square grids.i watched the lights for a long time..it made me feel good...my epirb by my side...someone will come to help you when you need help......on another story that i wont get into here as of 1967 there was still at least one genuine sea monster patroling the waters of the northeast[i have the pictures on my boat so if you see MAGIC out there swing by for a drink and no i wont loan out the pics thats all there is left because the smithsonian wouldnt pony up any money
Old 10-07-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
..... As least there's no next door neighbor starting a kitchen fire, overrunning their bathtub, or playing Black Sabbath at 2AM.
... hmm.. sounds like a few stories there, HS!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-08-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Like everyone says, just go a bit further each time. After all, like Captain Ron said, "If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there". Ooops.....nevermind.

Mike