SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   New to sailing, a few choices but hard time deciding (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/79698-new-sailing-few-choices-but-hard-time-deciding.html)

Spider0804 10-12-2011 12:10 AM

New to sailing, a few choices but hard time deciding

Hello friends i am new here and new to sailing as well, i have decided i want to learn and with many things i will do i will get the basics and jump into what im learning by practicing on my own or with someone who shares the interest

I wish to purchase my first sail boat and i am at an impass! I live in the lonely state of iowa, almost devoid of sailboats.
However i do live fairly close to coralville lake, which i am pretty sure is our largest, and i would like to learn there.

I am considering buying a dingy to learn on, but i know , like with all things i will sell it quickly and buy something larger to accomodate my desires and i have several options available to me.
As a first time sailor im not looking to shell out a life savings on a first boat, nor am i looking for a monster 30 footer.

My basic requirements were atleast 3 people and atleast 2 sails so this is what i have available to me now.

1 small dingy known as a Puffer
2 hobiecat 16
3 A 19 foot El Mar sail boat from 1973, this one says Licensed capacity is owners responsability (ive no idea)
4 a 19 Foot , 1972 oday

They all say sails are in good condition, but i plan to view them all tomorrow or the next day depending on current owners timeframe

I am really leaning twords the oday because it has a fairly large cabin and i would use it to spend a few days on the lake

and the el mar and oday come with small outboards incase of no wind or what have you

I have been sailing with others on small boats and a hobiecat 16 ,i know the basics and terminology of things found on small boats, but not yachts or big boats (not saying these are big boats just that my knowledge doesnt cover those)

What are peoples opinions on these picks and if i would be able to expand my knowledge from helping to running the boat myself, easily

I am no speed demon either but i cant find much information on anything but the Hobie 16 , about stability, saftey, top speed of the others

ArcherBowman 10-12-2011 12:39 AM

The smaller the boat, the faster you will learn. If your plan is to sail it for a few months and then trade up, I'd go with the Puffer or the Hobie. If your long term vision is a monohull, definitely the Puffer. If you are thinking more of a Catamaran, the Hobie. Cats handle differently from monohulls.

JedNeck 10-12-2011 03:57 AM

I bought a 8' Ranger sailing dinghy sailed it all summer and then moved up to my Cal21.
This was a good way to go for me. It let me make mistakes without getting into too much trouble.
I was bored of it by the end of the summer though.
The 21 is a whole different world. The rig is more complicated. The wind feels like it is more in control. It's harder to control the heel because moving your butt has much less effect in the bigger boat.

HELLICONIA54 10-12-2011 05:08 AM

My wife and I are learners too.I've had some experience manning the jib on a fellow club member's Boomerang 20,and a solo sail in a Puffin Pacer.We have just bought a Hartley ts16.Sleeps two,can be towed by a 4cyl car.Good for cruising or spirited sailing.Just another boat for you to consider.

CorvetteGuy 10-12-2011 07:39 AM

There is a younger member at our club that owns an oday 19 it is easily trailered and has a good size cockpit for sailing and entertaining there is also ample space down below for a 19 footer. Did I mention it is fairly quick too. Good luck on your purchase.

Faster 10-12-2011 11:00 AM

The ODay will give you better options on overnighting than the others.. and still be small enough to be responsive and a good learning platform.

If you feel strongly that this is for you, getting the Oday may simply let you avoid the first 'immediate' step-up after a season in a dinghy. The cruisability of the Oday over the daysailers will add to the experience.

The Hobie will provide a lot more rushes but will be somewhat more difficult to maneuver.

SHNOOL 10-12-2011 12:12 PM

If you are talking months before upgrade.. go with the puffer... It'll learn you fast, and is quick/easy to rig, and they sell pretty easy as they made a bunch of them... The hobbie will teach you some, the puffer will teach you more. Generally speaking it probably will teach you quicker than the hobbie what will most directly translate into a larger monohull as you upgrade.

Also the puffer is lightweight, and will be easier to right if you dump it.

RobGallagher 10-12-2011 12:27 PM

If you have a little Hobie experience and it doesn't make you want to run out and buy one then you can cross it off your list. Want to spend the night on your boat, the O'Day. I think you already know the answer to your question. :0

Barquito 10-12-2011 03:56 PM

The 'Res' should be a great place to sail a small boat. Try to get a good trailer. Then you can go to lots of other interesting places.

Spider0804 10-12-2011 04:42 PM

i have a friend who lives 40 miles from lake superior, i might haul the oday up there this summer if i snag it