Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011
OPTIM

optim is on a distinguished road
Youth Sailing Lessons

I have a very outgoing 9 1/2 year old that recently started sailing opti team. Only problem is she does not know how to sail and needs to attend a sailing school. Where she presently sails now, team is instructed by two freshman college students and they are NOT there to teach.
Does anyone have any suggestions of youth sail school, so she can rejoin her friends on present sailing team?
TXS!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Hmmmm. Usually kid-teaching is done at a summer sailing camp or as part of a yacht club or sailing club program. I'm thinking of the one here in New Orleans for the Southern yacht Club kids, who start at around 7 or 8 years of age and are taught in the harbor first, then later outside.

And the problem with an Opti is you almost have to teach them by remote-control, since putting an adult or sizable teen in the boat with the kid is too much weight in too little space.

Informal solution possible? Corral one of the better, older, and helpful Opti sailors and pay him/her to get in with your kid and teach them?

To answer your direct question, I don't know of any "commercial" programs that teach just kids, other than summer camps etc. I teach ASA basic here part-time, and will certainly teach a 9-10 year-old sailing, but it would typically be in larger boats, with the parents.
Old 11-25-2011
OPTIM

optim is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone for your advise. New update. Yesterday, I found out why she was not doing very well. I paid a private instructor to take her out for a 4-5 hour 1:1 lesson. While he and I were in power boat within reaching distance to my 9 1/2 year old daughter, she started yelling and screaming "Help,Help!" I was soooo embarrassed! Not to mention upset with her that she allowed me to hire this individual and waste everyone's time. Apparently she is afraid of the boat and of the water. She says she wants to sail, but is just afraid. I plan to take her in my boat when I sail. I belong to a sailing club and use their boats. Perhaps then she will become more comfortable with water and be interested in summer camp. If not, then we will all learn, maybe sailing just isn't her thing.
Old 11-26-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by optim View Post
I was soooo embarrassed! Not to mention upset with her that she allowed me to hire this individual and waste everyone's time. Apparently she is afraid of the boat and of the water.
I don't see it as a waste of time if you discovered the problem that she had with sailing and you certainly shouldn't feel embarrassed. At least she tried, which is more than can be said of a lot of kids (and adults) who never leave the couch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-01-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
I agree with Donna. Sailing can be a lot scarier when you're on your own and in a little boat that can capsize. And if the person who was going to teach your daughter is a parent as well, you have nothing to worry about -- any parent would understand.

Old 12-15-2011

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Agreed, you found the problem. My daughter was that way when she started, couldn't stand the boat heeling at all. She has been a sailing instructor for a few years now, head instructor last summer, and constantly tells me I am a wuss for not living with the rail in the water. I've seen it happen a number of times. I would try to get a two person boat and let her sail with another child. Then even capsizing becomes fun. Sometimes racing creates stress, so a few sessions of pure fun sailing might do wonders!
lou
Old 12-15-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, Optim hasn't been back. I hope her daughter is OK.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-15-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS. Why not book a summer vacation with all the family on a learn to sail trip that way the family can all interact and start teaching each other loads of fun to be had by all GO SAFE