Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011

Charlie B is on a distinguished road
Wow Casey,

That doesn't sound right. I'm thinking your dodger must be too high. I wouldn't think you'd want to change the shape of the main to compensate. But I guess if I were you, I'd do what I had to, to make it work.

Is there any chance you to adjust your main so it sits higher on the mast? Is there room at the mast head to do that? Seems like that would be a good way to go, even if you had to alter it a bit. I'm sure you don't want to loss that dodger. That's something I'm hoping to add to my boat. I have very little room in which to do it, so it will have to be a small one.
Old 11-15-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
Wow Casey,

That doesn't sound right. I'm thinking your dodger must be too high. I wouldn't think you'd want to change the shape of the main to compensate. But I guess if I were you, I'd do what I had to, to make it work.

Is there any chance you to adjust your main so it sits higher on the mast? Is there room at the mast head to do that? Seems like that would be a good way to go, even if you had to alter it a bit. I'm sure you don't want to loss that dodger. That's something I'm hoping to add to my boat. I have very little room in which to do it, so it will have to be a small one.
The luff of the main is tight and no more room to uphaul further. The leech seems like it is too long as it will not lift the boom to the horizontal position which I would think it should do. If the boom were horizontal it would clear the dodger by about 6 inches which would be ok. My dodger is very low and should not interfere. Seems the sail should lift the boom to the horizontal postion which it is not doing- maybe it is blown out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Can your boom adjust lower at the mast? But, it does sound like your dodger is a tad too tall as is,and if you lowered your boom on the mast, that would make matters even worse. I've seen oodles of folks worry more about "headroom" under their dodger instead of some trivial thing like, "sail shape"...lol
Old 11-15-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Sounds like either your dodger is too high or your sail is cut wrong. You should be able to get the specs of your sail and the correct angle of the sail cut between foot and luff. That will tell you whether the sail is the culprit. If this angle is around 90 degrees then the boom should look like it's at right angles to the mast with the topping lift slack. The topping lift is important because it stops the boom from falling on your head. I don't really trust them and have built a collapsible A-frame for times when the mainsail is not needed. This stops the boom from flapping back and forth (even when tied off) when the boat rolls if I'm motoring or under just headsail. The topping lift should be plenty strong and not disregarded as an annoyance. A boom, coming down on someone's head is no joke. It also can be adjusted just right so that the boom does not hit you in the head when you forget to duck!
Old 11-15-2011

I'm thinking your sail is the problem. My last boat had that situation as well. The boom hung way down and looked all wrong. It sailed fine, but jibing was a little more excitement then we needed.

Would a blown out sail do that?
Old 11-15-2011
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
As said before, after the sail is up attach it to the back stay, before the sail comes down hook it back up,....Good luck buddy
Old 11-16-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Here is a pic with sail down. This weekend will try to get one with main sail up. The boom is at about 90 deg and clears the dodger by about 6 inches. With the main sail up, and topping lift slack, the boom can rub the dodger. the boom is fixed at the mast and cannot be raised or lowered at that connection. From above comments, when hoisted the main should allow me to have topping lift completely slack and then the boom should not hit the dodger. Once I hoist the main, I will do some tweaking to see if I can get it this way.
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Question about mainsail troubles.-boom34.jpg  
Old 11-16-2011

That's an interesting looking dodger. I've never seen one like it. I especially like it being white.
Old 11-16-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
Another option is to install a vang that can support the boom in place of the topping lift. Keeping th topping lift and slacking it when the sail is up is simpler and cheaper, though.
Old 11-17-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
I bet the dodger was measured with the topping lift on and not with the sail up. Is there a way you could bend the upper arch of the dodger so it clears with the sail on/topping lift off? If it's just rubbing now, you should be able to just flatten the profile of the tubing a bit so you don't have to re-cut the dodger which looks like a nice job otherwise.