Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
SF may have a good idea about making a new mainsail. The sail you have could even be recut. If the boat is a modern design, predominantly headsail powered, a few feet missing from the lower part of the mainsail will probably not make much difference. It would likely result in better performance since you wouldn't have to worry about pulling the gooseneck down with downhaul tension. Having the right tension along the luff makes a LOT of difference in performance when you're close hauled.

I would check the design specs. of the sail system first to determine if the existing sail is the right one. You may discover that the sail is not the right sail in the first place. Which came first, the dodger or the sail?
The dodger frame has been on the boat since first built (1978). The sail was made by Horizon Sails Austrailia- seems this company is no longer in buisness- I have e-mailed and get no response and there web site does not open. This main is about 5 years old but has one 3 year circumnavigation on her by PO so has a lot of UV damage.

Last edited by casey1999; 12-06-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EATHLING The topping lift can also be used to de-power the main sail by pulling it in, so the boom is about 45 deegrees to the mast it;s called scandelizing the main and is very hand when aproaching too fast to sow the boat down or just decrease the driveing force GO SAFE.
Old 12-06-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
If it was a race main in a previous life, you might have a floating tack. Talk to a sailmaker before making any changes.
Old 12-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by captflood View Post
GREETINGS EATHLING The topping lift can also be used to de-power the main sail by pulling it in, so the boom is about 45 deegrees to the mast it;s called scandelizing the main and is very hand when aproaching too fast to sow the boat down or just decrease the driveing force GO SAFE.
Because of the way my boom is attached to mast, the angle is fixed to about 90 degrees. BTW, I am originally from saturn.
Regards
Old 12-06-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
The dodger has been on the boat since first built (1978). The sail was made by Horizon Sails Austrailia- seems this company is no longer in buisness- I have e-mailed and get no response and there web site does not open. This main is about 5 years old but has one 3 year circumnavigation on her by PO so has a lot of UV damage.
Sounds like you're about due for a new main. I purchased a used spare main (for emergency use) from Atlantic Sail Traders for pennies on the dollar compared to a new sail. It is like new, still "crackly" and fits almost perfectly. Only has one reef but hey. The only thing I had to do was change the slides to fit my mast and boom. Think I paid $250. There are a lot of good used sails out there.
Old 12-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
If it was a race main in a previous life, you might have a floating tack. Talk to a sailmaker before making any changes.
As mentioned, not been able to contact Horizon Sails. What is a floating tack?
Old 12-06-2011

GTREETINGS EARTHLINGS After you disconect the topping lift and the vang (the thing that supports the boom in the up possition) there must be some type of up and down movement . Try and see does this make a differance to the problem ! GO SAFE
Old 12-06-2011

Quote:
GTREETINGS EARTHLINGS After you disconect the topping lift and the vang (the thing that supports the boom in the up possition) there must be some type of up and down movement . Try and see does this make a differance to the problem ! GO SAFE
I can raise the topping lift and it will raise the boom some (maybe to an 80 degree angle to the main as there is some play at the boom/mast fitting). However I do not want to sail this way as there will be a lot of tension on the topping lift. I can also see where the topping lift (mine is a stainless steel cable) has cut a small groove in the aluminum mast head fitting, apparently because the boat may have been sailed with the topping lift under tension and when the boom is out, the topping lift will contact this part of the mast head fitting.
Regards
Old 12-06-2011

GREETINGS EARTHLING . Sounds as if the wire has jummped out of the sheath that allows the topping lift to slacken off this may meen a trip up the stick or a mast out ! Iether way use the experiance as a lerning curve and takea camra with you to record everything you see and find out GO SAFE
Old 12-06-2011

Quote:
GREETINGS EARTHLING . Sounds as if the wire has jummped out of the sheath that allows the topping lift to slacken off this may meen a trip up the stick or a mast out ! Iether way use the experiance as a lerning curve and takea camra with you to record everything you see and find out GO SAFE
No the wire is still in the sheave and always has been. The groove was cut when the boom was not in line with the boat's keel. When this happens, the topping lift will rub part of the mast head fitting. If the topping lift is loose, which it should be when main is raised, there will be no tension on the topping lift and no groove will be cut. I have been up the mast many times (mast steps help), will take pic next time- maybe this weekend.
Regards