Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011

luck66 is on a distinguished road
Now i've got a good picture, as I see it the problem is not the sail it is the dodger. changing the sail is not going to help much, lower the dodger or lift the boom at the tack.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luck66 View Post
Now i've got a good picture, as I see it the problem is not the sail it is the dodger. changing the sail is not going to help much, lower the dodger or lift the boom at the tack.
Why not just modify the sail? Lifting the boom at the tack will not help as that will not shorten the leach of the sail. The leach of the sail appers too long. The last pic I posted was from PO and although it is hard to see, I believe the topping lift is what is holding the boom above the dodger. As mentioned the doger frame is original to the boat, so either I am rigging the sail wrong or the sail was cut wrong. I think if I do a loose tack I can solve the problem. I will rig a cunningham that will allow me to raise the main tack up about 6 inches and this will also pull the clew up about 6 inches which will clear the dodger.
Old 12-07-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Why not just modify the sail? Lifting the boom at the tack will not help as that will not shorten the leach of the sail. The leach of the sail appers too long. The last pic I posted was from PO and although it is hard to see, I believe the topping lift is what is holding the boom above the dodger. As mentioned the doger frame is original to the boat, so either I am rigging the sail wrong or the sail was cut wrong. I think if I do a loose tack I can solve the problem. I will rig a cunningham that will allow me to raise the main tack up about 6 inches and this will also pull the clew up about 6 inches which will clear the dodger.
If you can get the sail higher, maybe it's supposed to be set high and then trimmed down with a downhaul. Being that the gooseneck has no track, that's probably the case. The use of a cunningham is a bit different in that it is usually placed astern the line of the luff so that the center of effort on the sail can be changed by tensioning. If you can get the loose-footed sail higher it should work. I didn't realize you had more room to raise it 6".
Old 12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
If you can get the sail higher, maybe it's supposed to be set high and then trimmed down with a downhaul. Being that the gooseneck has no track, that's probably the case. The use of a cunningham is a bit different in that it is usually placed astern the line of the luff so that the center of effort on the sail can be changed by tensioning. If you can get the loose-footed sail higher it should work. I didn't realize you had more room to raise it 6".
I do have a cunningham or using a line as a down haul will perform the same thing. I will try this as I can raise the sail an additional 6 inches or so before the top of the main will reach the top of the mast. I also have a vang which I think you are describing to use to change sail shape. I am not sure if the sail was cut wrong or made to have a loose tack and clew as I will try to rig. In any case I think I get get it to work on the cheap without major modification. Then the next sail I get as a replacement I will discuss options with the sail maker to get somthing that will work as designed.
Regards
Old 12-07-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
If you can get the sail high enough so the boom clears the dodger...problem solved. I have a rugged cunningham on my main. It really helps a lot to move the belly of the sail forward when close hauled. In using the windvane (I see you have one too) it's critical to get the sails trimmed just right so the helm is balanced. The vane won't work if there's a lot of weather helm.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-07-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
If you can get the sail high enough so the boom clears the dodger...problem solved. I have a rugged cunningham on my main. It really helps a lot to move the belly of the sail forward when close hauled. In using the windvane (I see you have one too) it's critical to get the sails trimmed just right so the helm is balanced. The vane won't work if there's a lot of weather helm.
Ok, I will do some experimentation. Normally she balances very well, barley touch the helm and she tracks straight.
Regards