Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
more info

Hey,

Some more or less random thoughts:

Moorings:
I started sailing in the summer 2003. I have used a mooring since 2004 and I love the mooring! Easy to get the boat on and off the mooring, cheap, and safe. I row out to mine in a cheap dingy. Very simple.

Diesel Engines and Maintenance:

I have owned my current boat since 2006. It has a Universal Diesel M25 that had about 3600 hours on it when I bought it. In the five years I have owned the boat I have put 250 hours on it. The only 'engine' work I have done is oil and filter changes, fuel filter changes, and an electric fuel pump replacement, and a new exhaust mixing elbow. Diesel engines are pretty simple and very reliable.

I do need to do some electrical re-wiring for my engine, but you must expect to do some work on 25 year old boats.

Getting Involved in the Sailing Community
Go Racing! Seriously. Find a local yacht club or sailing association or something like that and ask if anyone needs crew. I assure you that many captains are looking for crew. There is no better way to learn about boats, sail trim, seamanship, tactics, gear, etc. than to get on the water on some one elses boat and do it for free! Maybe you like it and want to do more, or maybe it's not your thing, but you'll get to climb all over different boats and see which things you like and which you don't.

Luxury Features
In the 70's features like hot and cold pressure water and AC electrical systems weren't so popular. By the mid 80's they were. And not just on high end boats like Sabre. Most mid 80's Newports (27, 28, 30) came with teak and holly cockpit sole, leaded glass cabinet doors, pressure hot and cold water in the galley and head, shower in the head, and AC electrical systems.

My second boat was a Newport 28. I originally wanted a Catalina 30, but good ones were out of my price range. I was at a boat yard looking at a S2 9.2A (which was junk) when the broker pointed out a Newport 28. Hmm, this is pretty nice. Self tailing winches, all lines led aft, good set of sails including assym spinnaker in sock, autopilot, Universal Diesel M18 in good condition, wheel steering with Autopilot, hot water, berths for my family of 5, shower in the head, etc. Long story short, I bought the boat and enjoyed for 3 years.

For me, having the 'luxury' features made my family comfortable and more willing to spend nights aboard.

For $20K you will have no problem finding a very nice mid 80's boat with all the features. For that amount of $, expect the boat to be in 'sail away' condition with good sails and gear.

Here is a simple list of boats to whet your appetite:
1980 (Sail) Boats For Sale

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Barry, thanks for the list of boats. I'll have some research to do this weekend. My budget is around 20k. If I could find a nice one for around 10-15K, well I figure my first year expenses are free! Hot/cold pressure would be a luxury, as well as AC/DC. The boats that you mentioned I've already done a little research on. I havent seen many with pressurized hot/cold. Do most have AC/DC? And for my price range, will I be able to afford these luxuries?

Nolatom, thanks for the explanation for mooring approach. Ill think of it like landing an airplane, into the headwind. Trying to get the general concepts down before stepping on the boat is important to me.

Bubblehead, I figured the dinghy would mean nothing when compared to the bigger boats. I just brought it up because it helped me understand sailing, and it was a fun experience for me. Can't wait to get on a bigger boat.

Suggestions on how to get more involved with a sailing community?

Like Barry says, go racing. Use Google or whatever, to find your local yacht clubs, sailing clubs and race clubs. Hit the docks with a case of beer, and you'll find a ride.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-18-2011
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. Very Satisfying, and a HUGE help.
Old 11-18-2011
Kevin

bump so I can PM people
Old 11-18-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
All great advice thus far, paint,except it's missing one key element; if you buy a Newport you'll look cooler. And, of course, chicks dig cool guys. I'm just sayin'........

And for the record, if you're looking to increase that post number, there's an "introduce yourself" thread and an even better, "song" thread, designed to help just that.
Old 11-18-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
People like me, who learned to sail a 25 footer first and then sail a dinghy, find themselves flipped into the drink when sailing a dinghy, because they failed to react with the mainsheet or the tiller fast enough.
How true. Even for slightly larger boats. I sold by Catalina 22 to a guy who learned on a 34' boat. He had a knock-down on the C22 and sank it. I just never thought that a person would not think to have a hand on the mainsheet... but that comes from dinghy sailing.
Old 11-19-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
sailing a C30 is just like a Sunfish, right?

I'll be taking lessons in the Spring hopefully. I can't wait to learn on a bigger boat. My goal is to work my way up to a 25' before I seal the deal on a boat. I'm looking towards 25-30' boats after I get a year or two of experience and training. Any suggestions for boats similar to the c30 would be great. I'm looking for a nice daysailer and weekender.

Thanks!
You'll be grateful later on if the lessons include handling an inboard diesel sailboat with wheel. Things like using prop walk to your advantage, maneouvring in a small space, docking, and so on. I paid for an hour's tuition on a C27 before making the transition and it was invaluable.
Old 11-20-2011
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Sailing community... websites like this are a good start. Long Island Sound should be filled with every manner of yacht and sailing club, sailing association, commercial sailing schools, seminars conducted by different groups, classes taught by the CG Auxiliary or Power Squadrons, crew lists on yacht/sail club websites, bulletin boards in marine chandleries such as West Marine, etc. Many clubs have periodic open houses and tours; many club web site crew lists are open to anyone; and many regattas and sailing events need volunteers. For marinas where access isn't too restricted, a technique of walking the docks and asking skippers if they know anyone who needs "rail meat" might work ... especially if you offer to bring beer on the less serious regatta nights such as "beer cans". Some areas have community sailing associations and clubs that provide low-cost lessons and boat rentals; some commercial charter boat companies provide discounted "club memberships". Many regions have local publications (windcheck magazine, lisail.com etc.) that can be found on line or at boat-related businesses. Good luck and safe voyages!
Old 11-21-2011
Kevin

E money thanks for the advice. A cool factor with be a total bonus, I'll look that for sure. Hopefully some of my coolness/swagger hasn't wore off from my high school/college days. I finally got the post count up to 15 so I could PM ppl.

Mark, thats a good suggestion with the inboard. My experience on ski boats probably wont suffice for manuevering an inboard sail.

rgscpat, Thanks for the advice on learning how to get involved. I like beer a lot, and I'm beginning to think a lot of people in the sailing community do as well, so we should all get along great.

Racing sounds like the way to go....
Old 11-21-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
As other posters have stated the sail trim, etc. will be essentially the same. The lightweight sunfish will be very sensitive to wind and wave forces, the keelboat because of its large mass will react somewhat slower.

There is a fundamental difference.
The sunfish is a planing hull boat, capable of vastly exceeding its so-called 'hull speed'. In a planing hull boat the 'planing' speed will cause a dynamic 'stability' of the boat on the water (If you can keep the mast directly 'over' the boat and not let the boat 'dump' (broach, capsize, etc.) .... and you can partly lift (remove) the daggerboard for increased 'downwind' speeds and to 'balance' the helm pressure.
A keelboat is a 'displacement' hull form - essentially 'pushes' the water out of it way (a planing hull rides 'on-top' of the water) and will/can become 'cranky' (unstable) when exceeding the so-called 'hull speed' (1.34 times the square root of its waterline length).
A keelboat is somewhat limited in speed by its 'waterline length' and if it greatly exceeds its so-called 'hull speed' can become quite unstable, much above the 'hull speed' can easily broach and capsize; although the keel weight will cause the boat to right itself (if it doesnt 'downflood' through the open companionway or open 'locker' in extreme conditions .... or 'break the mast or major structural 'gear' when it broaches or capsizes).

A planing hull usually can reduce the surface area of the centerboard or daggerboard, etc. and thus has a less possibility of 'broaching' .... or 'tripping over its keel', etc. Pulling up the 'board' when going downwind can help to even higher 'planing' speeds. The lightweight planing hull can easily 'capsize', then 'swamp' full of water, and then 'turn turtle' (mast pointing 'straight down') but as in the case of a sunfish can be easily 'righted' by a single sailor.