LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road
excellent, thanks rich
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
You know paint, the ski boat experience will be beneficial for lots of things. Inertia and momentum, for instance, apply to all water vessels, you just won't have the same benefit of "reverse".

The local Yacht Club where I live meets every month and has both a friendly race and a cruising event monthly. There are plenty of "non-owners" members that crew and tag along as there's always someone looking for both help and company. I'm sure there's a similar type club in your area, just start asking around and you'll find it. Lots and lots of good people on the water, as you know from your ski-boat days.
Old 11-21-2011
Kevin

Huh, alright. No reverse? For simplicity and reliability I'm assuming. Wondering how these motors/drivetrains work. I'm also clueless on the electrical system and charging as well. Can you tell I haven't picked my book up yet?

Can't wait to learn more!

Kevin
Old 11-21-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Late to the party, but my thoughts;
I think the learning curve is much quicker on the small dinghies.
Make a mistake on a Sunfish and your going swimming. Make a mistake with sail trim etc on a C30? No big deal, the boat will take care of you. You can make tons of mistakes on a C30 and probably never even know it unless you have another boat to compare it to; racing or daysailing and somebody comes along and does a horizon job on you. "Why can't I keep up with that guy?"
Also, you learn to read the winds much better small boat and small lake sailing.
Shoreline lifts, wind shifts, puffs, etc.. you learn to read much quicker on the small boats and inland lakes.
Much of what you learn as fgar as sail trim and wind recognition does traslate to the larger boat in my opinion.
I believe that small boat sailing is the best way to learn, in fact, I recently dug my father's '75 Sunfish out from its burial grounds and I am rehabbing the little thing. Can't wait to get back into it. I have small boat fever once again.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 11-21-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Huh, alright. No reverse? For simplicity and reliability I'm assuming. Wondering how these motors/drivetrains work. I'm also clueless on the electrical system and charging as well. Can you tell I haven't picked my book up yet?

Can't wait to learn more!

Kevin
No, no a C30 will have reverse. Not sure what he meant by "not having the benefit of reverse".

I will tell you that the backing manners of your boat may not be very good depending on the angle of the shaft, or the type of prop you have.

I have a Martec, 2-blade folding prop. Great for racing, uncool for backing. Very weak reverse thrust, and steering. Fixed blade props will back better, and more blades may be better. Of course, the trade-off is more drag.

You pays you money and you takes you frame of reference.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-21-2011
Kevin

Good to know. Thanks guys.
Old 11-21-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
"no reverse" meaning, you don't have the benefit of "boating brakes" (i.e. reverse in a power boat) when you're sailing and on a lot of sailboats, when motoring too.
Old 11-22-2011
Kevin

Ok I see what you are saying emoney. When motoring on a sailboat, the thrust just isn't there like you would have on ski boat. Like you said, I have experience with inertia and momentum. And the purpose of the motor on the sailboat isn't to power around as it is a small aid when you're out there.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2011

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Paint,

Don't worry about making the transition. Before you get set on one model, get a ride on as many different boats in the size range as you can. See what your must haves and wants are. Then try to find one in your price range that makes you happy. You will not find a boat that will meet all of your wants but as with everything sailing is a compromise.

I would not worry if the inboard is diesel or gas. Both have their advantages. I prefer my gas engine over a diesel for several reasons. There are threads here discussing them.

Buying a used boat is nice because many of them have been upgraded already. Look at the condition of the sails and the rigging. These will be some of the bigger costs for replacement.

Before I bought my boat I sailed Hobie Cats and large schooners; nothing in the 30' range. It took a few months of sailing her before I felt really comfortable in a wide range of conditions and could keep up with the other boats of similar length. When learning to dock just remember to only go as fast as you want to hit something.
Old 11-22-2011

Bamazeb is on a distinguished road
I grew up with an O'Day 22. Then got a Sunfish during college. Sailed it for 15 yrs. Got tired of getting wet. So now have A Mirage 24 and lovin' it!! Do you plan to do a lot of singlehanding? If so, better stick with a <25 footer. Also comimg into a mooring is easy. Idle up to point into your berth. Cut the engine. Grab the aft mooring line and hold it to reduce the momentum to a stop. Then Cleat it.