SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Attaching Sheet to Jib (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/8097-attaching-sheet-jib.html)

wigwam 09-22-2003 06:36 PM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

Help - what is the best way (or ways) to attach jib sheets. I have a No.3 jib through which I cannot attach two jib sheets as the clew is too small for both sheets to pass through.

Cheers

jbanta 09-22-2003 06:54 PM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

Then I guess you can''t get one on folded in the center.. Looks like you''ll have to connect a carabiner and then put the sheets on.

pirateofcapeann 09-22-2003 09:24 PM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

Tie a bowline to the clue with one sheet and tie the second sheet''s bowline through the bight of the first.

sailingfool 09-23-2003 05:40 AM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

he Pirate has the right idea - tie one bowline, in the clew, then tie the second bowline to the first. I''ve used this setup on a friend''s #3 for years.

Do not put carabiner or any other metal fitting on the clew of a sail - when the sail is flogging while be raised or doused, a metal object could do some serious damage to a head that happens to get too close...

Good luck.

aflanigan 09-23-2003 08:06 AM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

You may also want to ask yourself if the sheets are thicker than they need to be for the sail (it is fairly common for genoa and main sheets to be really larger than they need to be; people just look at 3/8 or 5/16 line with a historical notion of how substantial such lines should look and feel based on rope technology of past centuries and consider it too "thin"; they also believe that thicker sheets are easier on the hands, I suppose). The Mumm 30, for example (30 Ft. LOA) class rules specify 5/16 diameter yacht braid for jib sheets, which has a breaking strength of 1350 lbs., probably two or three times the maximum strength such lines actually need. So seeing 7/16 or 1/2 inch jib sheets on a 22-25 footer does seem a bit of overkill. But if that''s what you like, it doesn''t really cause any problems (not a lot of pulley blocks to run around like the main sheet, and it doesn''t add weight aloft like a fat halyard will).

You can also consider just getting a new line long enough to form the sheets for both sides, attaching it at the middle to the clew. That would avoid the need to have a couple of bowlines at the clew for two separate lines.

Allen Flanigan

Jeff_H 09-23-2003 06:35 PM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

One minor point on sheet sizes, sheets are rarely sized by the breaking tensile strength that they will subjected to, even on raceboats. In most cases, sheets are sized to minimize stretch, be reasonably easy to handle, to provide adequate grip for winches, cleats and stoppers, and to provide some safety factor once a bit of chafe has occurred.

Jeff

pirateofcapeann 09-23-2003 08:20 PM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

Even if he gets one continuous line to do both sheets, he''s still going to be able to pass it through the clew eye only once. His options would be to tie a fancy knot in the middle of this line, which would be a pain in the butt, as specially if this sheet is going to be used on multiple sails. Clapping on a seizing would also not be multi-sail friendly. Nope, I think he should stick to tying one sheet to the other or use a snap hook. Iíve always used the snap hook and have never had a problem. Perhaps this is because Iím aware of the potential and take precautions.

As for the line size for sheets, Iíve always liked 3/8-inch on everything above 20 feet to under 40 feet. Itís comfortable in my hand, strong enough for the application. On smaller boats where the weight factor may come into play, I use 5/16-inch minimum. Aboard my Father-in Lawís 44 footer, he was using some krystly ĺ-inch hawser stock! That stuff had to go! We replaced it with Ĺ-inch Dac. And itís much easier to work with.

wigwam 09-24-2003 12:35 AM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

Great. Don''t like the idea of a carabiner for safety reasons, can''t use one sheet as she won''t go through twice, at this stage am not keen to buy more sheets. So tying a second Bowline to the first is my favoured approach.

Many thanks, much appreciated.

Triton Figment 09-30-2003 11:25 AM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

If the ability to easily change these sheets over between sails is part of the issue, I''d suggest that you not use a bowline knot. After subject to high load, the bowline can be hard to break open again.

In an application like this, I sometimes use an "angler''s loop". At least, that''s what I''m told it''s called. It''s basically a bowline, but (for those of use who learned the bowline at an early age...) the rabbit goes around the tree a second time before ducking back into the hole. This extra turn prevents the knot from jamming up on itself so tightly.

Sailmc 09-30-2003 11:47 AM

Attaching Sheet to Jib

I''ve attached my jib sheets with a bowline as long as I can remember. I''ve never had a bit of trouble breaking the knot at the end of the season. You just have to push on the right spot. No effort required.