Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011

ctl411 is on a distinguished road
I will fly mine alone but I have a autopilot and they are now in socks. I bought a used spin off ebay it is huge for my 37c it will hit the water if its not pulling so it would get wet on take down then would have to let dry on deck or hang in cabin PIA . Buy a sock they come up used and are great, I now have both in socks and will fly them even for a short time 20 min just to play. Fun sails on light air days . I also sometimes will snuff to jibe or undo a hourglass bad jibe. If the wind picks up head ddw blow the tack tighten the sheet even without a sock the sail will have no power grab the clew let the head loose pull it down . Does your boat have a long keel it should track well to just lock the wheel to get the spin up and down?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Yes, I can set the windvane to keep the boat tracking, but I don't usually have that rigged up unless going a long way. I guess what I'm trying to determine is whether it is really useful enough to spend time and $ for a sock. I'm sure it could be handled if it could be doused readily with some sort of rigging. I don't do any racing with my old boat but can see a possible use if going downwind for a long time in light wind conditions. At present I just pole out the 160 genny with preventer but the spinnaker certainly has more square footage and needs no pole or preventer.
Old 12-18-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Jack's suggestion about dropping it down the bow hatch makes sense except for the possibility of taking a wave over the bow and getting everything below drenched w/ salt water and next to impossible to get dry.
Not the bow hatch; the companionway.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-18-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Not the bow hatch; the companionway.
Sorry Jack, thought you were probably talking about the nearest hole in the deck. Getting it all the way back to the cockpit, past the mast and under the boom while easing the halyard would be a challenge.
Old 12-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Sorry Jack, thought you were probably talking about the nearest hole in the deck. Getting it all the way back to the cockpit, past the mast and under the boom while easing the halyard would be a challenge.
If your spin halyard is led back to the cockpit this is much easier. The sheet is already back to the cockpit. You will have to go forward to blow the tack, unless the tack line is led back to the cockpit. Ease the halyard while hardening the sheet. Once the sail is at hand, stuff it down the companionway.

A sock and autopilot is way easier.
Old 12-18-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Under boom dousing also ensures that the spinnaker is in the lee of the main and easily controlled.. singlehanded the biggest challenge is figuring out how to ease the halyard in a controlled manner and good pace to match your ability to grab cloth and stuff the sail below.

We use the companion way drop unless it's really light, then it's directly into the bag on the foredeck. However we're usually doublehanded rather than single. We do use autopilot for gybing the symm freeing me to run the pole and she to run the lines aft.

With the Asymm (new to us this past season - no sock) we're still experimenting a bit but have found the cockpit/companionway drop works well, again utilizing the lee of the main to help control the sail. This often calls for diving a bit deep during the douse to make sure that's true. And as noted above a long tack line accessible from the cockpit is important too...

A large dodger can complicate a companioway drop, as it's a less direct/higher drag path below, but it's still usually do-able.
jackdale likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We use the companion way drop unless it's really light, then it's directly into the bag on the foredeck. However we're usually doublehanded rather than single. We do use autopilot for gybing the symm freeing me to run the pole and she to run the lines aft.
For sure. Many advantages:

1) No need to re-pack the sail. Packing below is a PITA.

2) The lines are more easily re-run, if necessary. I leave the sheets/guys attached and hardened. Just disconnect the halyard and stow it.

The new style spin bags are much easier to deal with than the old turtles with the round hoop.

Make sure the sail bag is stowed below if the wind/waves pick up. Do not ask why I know this.
Old 12-18-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

Well, will have to give the companionway method a shot. I do run the sheet back to the cockpit so it makes sense to release the pennant, dump the air, shielding the sail behind the main (which is a big one on my older design) and then just haul the whole thing aft with the sheet. I wonder if a permanent snap shackle on the bow plate with the release line and halyard run back to the cockpit would work to accomplish the operation without ever going up to the bow??? Boy, that would be great! It would entail getting the sheet inside the shrouds but this could probably be accomplished with a short line and loose bowline slip loop or a small snatch block placed ahead of the shrouds once the sail is set with a fig 8 on the bitter end of the sheet. The dodger does present an obstacle but the light spin should slide over it pretty easily. My "Flasher" hoop bag has shackles on the bottom which make it difficult to lose in the fray. It would certainly be gone without them. Last summer I thought it was gone once but it was hanging over the side, still attached. I'm going to try the mechanics of this on the next calm day which is only MONTHS away.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-18-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2011

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Most race boats now have a rectangular bag that hangs in the companion way. The sail is easily launched and retrieved there. I use a symmetrical chute and when I want to drop it just let the guy run, then there is not need to trip it at the tack.
I pull the foot in until I have it all then start to ease the halyard down and bring it in under the boom. Everything on my boat is on the cabin top.

When it goes back in the bag it is ready for launching again. If you race short windward leeward courses you do not have time to repack like in the old days with the turtle on the bow.
Faster likes this.
Old 12-20-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
When sailing solo on my Victory 21, I ran all the lines first, running back to adjust the tiller after each line. Then I launched the symmetrical spinnaker out of the bag, under the boom. All lines ran aft enough to do this.

It worked well and wasn't scary. (Well, there was that time we caught a gust, and took water over the coaming. Victory 21s don't have a self bailing cockpit. Don't tie any stopper knots.)

On our Beneteau 50, we use a sock over an asym and an autopilot. I did a simulated solo (with DavidPM standing by just in case), and it went fine. I need to add a longer tack line so the front of the asym can be controlled/released. I'm thinking about using a snatch block shackled to a metal loop that's on the top of the anchor roller.

Bring a friend along the first few times and tell him to just sit there and enjoy the scenery, unless you call for help.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .