Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By Faster
  • 1 Post By INMA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011
RD

milemarkerzero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to milemarkerzero Send a message via Skype™ to milemarkerzero
Thumbs up Looking for a boat

Hi and thanks for stopping by my post!

My name is RD and just like the title says, I'm looking for a sailboat. As much as I wish I could say I'm looking for one to buy, I can't.
What I am looking for, however, is experience and an adventure.
And I'm also looking for the chance to help crew a boat and possibly be taught the ropes (pun so intended)
I am currently in the process of getting my passport card so hopefully i'lll be able to sail international waters soon as it seems thats where everyone is heading.

I'm looking for any pick at pretty much any port. (preferably east coast)
I make travel arrangements, with enough notice.
Im looking to sail preferably the gulf, or anywhere tropical.

Im a hard and a fast learner.

30yrs 5'5 180lbs
Hope to hear from you soon

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
MMZ, do you have any sailing experience? It's a liitle easier to get a gig as rail meat on a local racer, than on open water cruisers. If you aren't able to take a watch, you may find it easier to get a bunk if you can cook and clean. You might then get a chance to pick up a thing or two about open water sailing The big risk for both you and the skipper is whether you can take being offshore for long durations, particularly seasickness. Best wishes.
sawingknots likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-27-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd also definitely recommend starting out local, gaining some experience and skills before attempting to arrange an offshore trip. On the Great Lakes you should have the opportunity for some distance racing and certainly could run into nasty weather for a taste of that.

Lots of issues with 'hooking up' with someone for an offshore passage.. as Minne mentioned above; seasickness, but also: love it or hate it, personal compatibility, "Captain Blighs",... the thing about being offshore with one or two individuals is that there's no 'popping off down the street for a coffee and a cool-down'. I doubt you could come up with a more escape-proof situation than a small boat offshore.

If you're willing, able, and most of all reliable then you'll get invited back and will soon establish some good credentials. Taking some offshore survival, navigation and seamanship courses wouldn't hurt either..
jackdale likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-29-2011

INMA is on a distinguished road
Do at least a basic keel boat sailing course so you know the basics and should then be able to figure out who would be a good skipper and who to avoid.

Crewing on some racing yachts out of local yacht clubs would also increase your skills and knowledge.

There are often crew positions on the bigger race boats delivering or returning yachts. To have a chance picking up that type of position, you need the training and some club racing experience.

Baby steps.
jackdale likes this.
Old 12-29-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by INMA View Post
Do at least a basic keel boat sailing course so you know the basics and should then be able to figure out who would be a good skipper and who to avoid.

Crewing on some racing yachts out of local yacht clubs would also increase your skills and knowledge.

There are often crew positions on the bigger race boats delivering or returning yachts. To have a chance picking up that type of position, you need the training and some club racing experience.

Baby steps.
+1 - When someones asks you to harden the vang, you need to know what to do.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-20-2012

ely is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a boat

never mind that-visit sailopo for a bunch of boats looking for crew.