Old 01-26-2012

jkiser is on a distinguished road
Pm sent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree that a 30 footer can be found for $5000 but it's going to be old and in rough shape and while sailing the Bahamas isn't bluewater sailing, there's still a lot of open water between islands and I don't think I'd want to be out in that open water in a $5000 derelick. Remember, you get what you pay for and your life will depend on the seaworthiness of your boat.
I think your painting with too broad a brush.
I paid under $2000 for a 32' 30 year old boat and it came w/ a kubota 4cyl. w/ less than 200hrs. all bronze through hulls. swageless rigging etc etc. there are alot of boats around and alot of people who want to part w/ them .
As for the distances from fla to the Bahamas, I think bimini is 48 miles away !! an overnight sail.
Also to say an inexpensive neglected boat is not or would not be "sea worthy" is too general a statement .
I could sight dozens of examples of folks sailing far on less and w/ less.
I'm exhausted with the repeated mantra of and from folks about how difficult and dangerous sailing is and how one needs a certain boat and equipment. It just isn't so, please quit perpetuating this mistruth. how many accounts of completey inexperienced sailors making long trips and extended cruises successfully will it take to show sailing is just not that rixky or complex?
And the "classes " and "courses" are SOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo lame. just read a little and take an interest in it and you will learn /know all that you can without actually doing, after that doing will expose the rest.
I've sailed the hell out of my $2000 dollar boat and she has many more miles left in her.
just do it, do it.
bljones likes this.
Old 01-27-2012

GFUSailTeam is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
I think your painting with too broad a brush.
I paid under $2000 for a 32' 30 year old boat and it came w/ a kubota 4cyl. w/ less than 200hrs. all bronze through hulls. swageless rigging etc etc. there are alot of boats around and alot of people who want to part w/ them .
As for the distances from fla to the Bahamas, I think bimini is 48 miles away !! an overnight sail.
Also to say an inexpensive neglected boat is not or would not be "sea worthy" is too general a statement .
I could sight dozens of examples of folks sailing far on less and w/ less.
I'm exhausted with the repeated mantra of and from folks about how difficult and dangerous sailing is and how one needs a certain boat and equipment. It just isn't so, please quit perpetuating this mistruth. how many accounts of completey inexperienced sailors making long trips and extended cruises successfully will it take to show sailing is just not that rixky or complex?
And the "classes " and "courses" are SOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo lame. just read a little and take an interest in it and you will learn /know all that you can without actually doing, after that doing will expose the rest.
I've sailed the hell out of my $2000 dollar boat and she has many more miles left in her.
just do it, do it.

Haha I appreciate your confidence and go-for it attitude, helps rekindle mine. I do think we'll err on the side of caution though since none of us have any background in this whatsoever. We'll certainly be putting out ads for labor in exchange for experience. I like this because we'll learn both sailing and maintenance.

As far as expected costs, we really don't know. I have been seeing very reasonably priced boats, but many look to need some work. Since we're in Oregon, about as far from the Keys as you can get, we'd rather buy something that needs little to no work at all, that way there's no big surprises when we go down for the trip. I'm not sure how we're going to work out logistics, but we were thinking of buying a boat online in the keys... sight unseen. This is a big risk, but we were thinking of having local forum members maybe help us scope out the ship beforehand. It would save us the drive/flight and thereby a LOT of money.

What other kind of factors go into a trip like this? Any recommended reading for us? Thanks for all the replies!
Old 01-27-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFUSailTeam View Post
Any recommended reading for us?
Try this forum thread for recommended reading.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-27-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Hi! I think I am just down the road from you, assuming GFU is George Fox University? We live in Lafayette, and spend a lot of time in Newberg. We have a 32 foot Islander, and would enjoy taking you out and showing you the ropes, but unfortunately our boat is in the Puget Sound at the moment, up by Port Townsend, WA. which is not the most convenient. Are you all from the area (be around in the summer) or will you be going home for the summer? We may be bringing the boat back to the Columbia this summer, we haven't decided for sure yet. Either way, perhaps we can work something out. I like your go for it attitude, coupled with a bit of caution and a few years foresight.

Bryan
-OvO- likes this.
Old 01-27-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
my wife and i are doing what you want to do.We're from Vancouver, Canada. boughta catalina 30 got comfortable with sailing, boat work, and financial responsibility. We sold it and just bought a cruising boat in Florida. In a week we're driving an old van full of our stuff across the states next week.

it will take you a couple years, but don't get discouraged.

Old 01-27-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFUSailTeam View Post
I'm not sure how we're going to work out logistics, but we were thinking of buying a boat online in the keys... sight unseen. This is a big risk, but we were thinking of having local forum members maybe help us scope out the ship beforehand. It would save us the drive/flight and thereby a LOT of money.
That's a BIG RISK! But possible. Yes have someone scope it out for you, and (this is a must), part of the purchase contract should include "contingent on satisfactory survey and seatrial". Once you have it scoped out for you and you decide to make an offer, you get a list of good surveyors here on Sailnet and you hire one to survey the boat. A survey by a qualified surveyor is a must and also required if you want to insure the boat - another must.
A survey will run you, in the neighborhood of $15-25 per foot, depending on the experience and expertise of the surveyor plus the cost of a haul out, maybe a couple hundred more. Again, this is a must if you value your lives.
Old 01-27-2012
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Actually the first, not next, thing to get some experience.
+1

Take a vacation down in Florida or the BVI and sign up for some live aboard ASA courses. You'll get hands on experience from qualified instructors and the 3 of you will learn if you can live together in tight quarters.
chuck53 likes this.
Old 01-27-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedUp View Post
+1

Take a vacation down in Florida or the BVI and sign up for some live aboard ASA courses. You'll get hands on experience from qualified instructors and the 3 of you will learn if you can live together in tight quarters.
That 's excellent advice, however these guys are on a shoestring budget, no offense to them, and I have a very strong feeling that would cost more than they even plan to spend on the boat.
Old 01-27-2012
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
how many accounts of completey inexperienced sailors making long trips and extended cruises successfully will it take to show sailing is just not that rixky or complex?
Maybe they were just lucky?

...and experience does not guarantee less risk either as in the case of the 4 Americans on hijacked yacht dead off Somalia - CBS News

They used poor judgement in traversing known dangerous waters and unfortunately, paid for it with their lives.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.