SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

First sailboat purchase

8K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  redfishnc 
#1 ·
I am close to buying my first boat. Have done lots of research but I am unsure about one thing - How big a boat is too long even for a dedicated beginner who will have a lot of time for practice and learning? 30', 32'?? I would like to avoid looking for a larger, nicer boat in just year or 2. Thanks for any advice.

#3 ·
Remember when you first learned how to drive?
Now, make your car twice as long.
Quadruple the weight.
Install bald tires.
Disconnect the brakes.
Lay a sheet of ice on the street.
Okay, now, park it in a space two feet wider and three feet shorter than the car with a wall at the front end.

THAT is the hardest part of sailing, and the part where boat size really has the biggest effect- docking. If you plan to be sailing solo much of the time, I wouldn't look for a boat longer than 26' as your first boat, properly equipped for single handing. If you and your crew will be learning to sail together, I'd offer that 30-32' feet is maximum length.

No matter how big your boat is, you will ALWAYS be looking for a bigger boat in a year or two. Rather than worrying about length, worry about equipment and/or accomodations.

My wife and I and our 2 dogs summer aboard a 23 foot boat. Comfortably.

#6 ·
As a noob that just purchased my first sailboat I can tell you the answer.

- Visit all the boats you are interested in from 30' - 40'....
- get on them walk on them spend 15 minutes messing around inside the cabin.
- Take your own pictures of the things about the boat you like.
- ask the broker or owner to leave you alone. (they should understand)

After you have seen all the boats that interested you the one that was ment for you will stand out in your mind. You will not be able to stop thinking about that one boat. When that happens that sir is the boat you are suppose to have. Do not settle for anything else.

#27 ·
As a noob that just purchased my first sailboat I can tell you the answer.

- Visit all the boats you are interested in from 30' - 40'....
- get on them walk on them spend 15 minutes messing around inside the cabin.
- Take your own pictures of the things about the boat you like.
- ask the broker or owner to leave you alone. (they should understand)

After you have seen all the boats that interested you the one that was ment for you will stand out in your mind. You will not be able to stop thinking about that one boat. When that happens that sir is the boat you are suppose to have. Do not settle for anything else.
I like how you put this. This will be similar to my first sailboat purchase. Although I'd like something in the 35-40 foot range for my first, its more practical to go with a 30, almost entirely for learning purposes.

I'm always willing to give a little.

#7 ·
Thanks. That advice rings awfully true. I was very close to buying an Oday 28. For some reason I just didnt "love" the boat though. Mabe because it was in ok shape but had not really been cared for well. Really, thanks. I am very much looking forward to knowing I am sitting in THE boat I have been looking for. Hopefully the ownner/brIoker won't notice a I can get a good price too.

#13 ·
Ben,

You assume that your strategy worked in your favor because you got the boat for "way less than asking price." Not necessarily a valid argument.

Most boats sell for well below the asking price, so I'm not convinced.

When the time comes to sell our baby, you can bet that the buyer's attitude is going to play a big role in how willing I am to negotiate, and whether or not I'm gonna throw in some or all of the thousands of dollars worth of loose goodies (spares, tools, repair supplies, charts, binos. handheld vhf, nav tools, etc, etc.) simply based on how they come across.

I might also decide to let them know what all my intended maintenance projects are, which could save them the trouble of promulgating their own punch list from scratch.

My own thinking is that since sailing is supposed to be a fun and inclusive sport or lifestyle, you ought to approach it that way even when shopping for a boat. Be respectful, fair, and when necessary firm; you might be surprised what that does for you in the long run.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
Back to the boat - its not just about size. Are the halyards led to the cockpit or are they on the mast? Tiller or wheel? inboard or outboard? How deep is the water in your area? Looking for speed or comfort? Roller furling jib?

Answer these and you will narrow down your choices considerably.
Find a good surveyor - they are worth the cost.

#24 ·
Well said. I too am new to sailing and will also be looking for a boat soon. My reading on here really helped me not want to jump in with both feet until these type questions were answered. Originally I was thinking of living and working space. After much reading here I learned there is much more to be considered. The draft alone can be a problem in some area's.

#17 ·
I was in your same situation during the summer of 2010. No sailing experience, little boating experience. We had traveled quite a bit with the kids and decided to something different. We bought a 30 ft CS just as she came out on the hard in the fall of 2010. Spent all winter fixing her up and learning everything i could. Youtube can be your best friend when learning something new. Mainesail will be your other best friend. Docking and maneuvering was alot easier than i feared. Sailing, I'm loving it! I think a 30 footer is perfect for us. If you are confident, sensible and have a grip on common sense GO BIG as you can.

#20 ·
I agree with Oaks,
When I decided to buy a boat I was initially looking in 30' 35' range. Then when I found my YC and started talking to other sailors and a few online friends everyone said "get smaller to learn on" Well I did. Wound up with a very nice Hunter 23, it was a lovely boat, and I liked it for what it was. But I sold it after 11 months and bought my Oday 30, The money I spent on the H23 could gone towards a larger boat at the time. Now that things have changed I may never get a larger then 30' boat but at least I have something I can spend real time on and have the comfort and facilities that make staying on the boat much more enjoyable.
Holding a tiller, reaching over the transom, flipping the gears from fwd to rev and trying to dock was not my idea of fun on a smaller boat. :D

#18 ·
When I sell something....anything.....the prospective buyer's attitude and demeanor play heavily into how cooperative I am and willing to deal.

If my prospective buyer is friendly, open, excited and will obviously love my boat, I will most certainly deal with them by knocking money off, tossing in extras....

If my prospective buyer is as you stated you are, I will not deal at all. No money off. Full price. I'm keeping stuff too. You don't want it, fine. Take a hike. I don't deal with A Holes.

I had an old guitar to sell on Craigslist. Got all kinds of low ball, insulting offers. People telling me "why" my price was too high. One guy contacted me about the guitar. He was concerned that it was a little more than he wanted to pay. He was super nice, we had very good back/forth. Turns out he was a band teacher for a local elementary school and wanted an inexpensive guitar for the program.

I gave it to him. No charge.

My point it, if you're the right buyer, I'll deal with you. I may want to sell my stuff, even need to. But I'll eat it and tell you to walk if you're a d1ck.

#21 ·
Denise and Oaks thank you for the encouragement and for getting this discussion back on message. I appreciate the broker, sales advice too. So far my experince has been very positive with owners and one broker. Denise's experience is ex.actly what I was asking
about. I am going to buya beautiful sailboat soon and I will not be concerned if the boat I love happens to be 30 or 32 feet instead of 27.

Soon to b cruiser/winter liveaboard Chris

#23 ·
What I love about these forums, is that after a certain hour, if you come in and check responses, you will never cease to be thoroughly entertained by what you read. I think the hour I'm thinking of is called the cocktail hour.

#28 ·
When I looked at my last boat, I asked the owner if he was willing to sell the jackstands and blocking it was sitting on. He already had a much bigger boat on taller jackstands. He offered them for a very reasonable price, and seemed like a nice, helpful, decent person.

So I wrote him a check for more than he was asking.

And you know what? When I picked up the boat he threw in extras that he did not need to throw in, but which were more valuable to me than the extra $$ I paid for the jackstands.

And then he told me to call him if I had questions when it came time to commission the boat in the spring.

Money well spent.

#29 ·
Here is an approach to boat searching. I own a Compac 27 and have it almost exactly like I like it. I am a boat searcher, always looking for the next boat. I love that 27 to 30 size for a number of reasons, expense being one of them. Owning the title and having enough to enjoy without worry is high on the list. Go to Yachtworld, filter on size range, filter on your budgeted purchase price, add a least 10% for the 'little things', and enjoy the looking. Don't pass over the Morris 28 or the Shannon 28 if owning a quite nicely finished pocket cruiser is in the cards. This is a great time to shop.

Good luck in your search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.