SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   need to learn to sail in tampa area (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/8388-need-learn-sail-tampa-area.html)

dogma420 10-30-2003 08:01 PM

need to learn to sail in tampa area

hi i recently bought a catalina 22 and i am new to sailing. i am having problems going upwind . i would like any and all info that you could give me.

tsenator 10-31-2003 06:15 AM

Are there any local sailing classes available near you? In my mind, this would be the best thing for you They don''t have to be really expensive, sometime communities put on Red Cross basic sailing courses that would be very helpful. Usually they are very reasonable in price and it amazing what kind of improvement you get from hands on training

sailingfool 10-31-2003 06:40 AM

Find an experienced sailor in your area and bribe him/her (flattery and/or a beer should work) and within 30 minutes you should have the idea down. Otherwise the explanation requires too many sailing words, which then also need to be explained, and besides you won''t remember the concept when you need it.
My advice - get someone to show you as it''s the one hard concept in sailing.

Good luck.

Sailormon6 10-31-2003 12:20 PM

If you want to sail to windward, you have to adjust the boom approximately along the centerline of the boat, and the jib has to be adjusted about 8 inches from the spreader.

If the boat heels excessively when you trim the main and jib that way, then you have too much sail up for the windstrength. Reefing the mainsail and reducing the size of the jib will make the boat more manageable.

Your sails probably won''t be perfectly trimmed, but that should be close enough to make the boat sail to windward.

Lessons would certainly help. Good luck!

dogma420 11-06-2003 05:41 PM

thank you for your help. i will try them this weekend

mgullett 11-11-2003 11:30 AM

Did you have success? Where do you sail in Tampa? I may be able to lend a lesson. You can email me at fladventuresails@cs.com

Mark
s/v LisaRita
Tierra Verde, FL

Stan S 11-26-2003 06:46 AM

I also sail in Tampa Bay (Bahia Beach marina) and my first boat was a Catalina 22.

I did the following (all at once) and perfomance greatly improved.

Tune the rig for correct tension. The Catalina 22 club (Main Brace) is good source of data.

What is condition of sails. New or reswewn sails do wonders.

Is the swing keel going all the way down and how fair is it. Mine was incrusted with barnacles.

Hope this helps.

Stan S 11-26-2003 06:52 AM

Dogma420,

I forgot to mention that I will more than happy to help you with any of the above and go out with you some day. Who Knows--maybe you have my boat.