Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2003

Real Ale is on a distinguished road
How do I moor in open water?

I have a 30 ft wooden ketch moored to a jetty. At the front it''s secured by the anchor and a chain to another permanent anchor. At the back I have two ropes tying it to the jetty. (Hey, I''m a beginner so I can say "front" and "back" :-)) But I''ve got to move it away from the jetty into open water. How do I moor it? I think I should still use the same arrangement at the front, but what about the back?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road

Sounds like what you are wanting to have is your own mooring. You could put down a mushroom anchor and float a good quility mooring buoy to that and call it home. You will have to make sure that such an instalation is not outside any laws or rules in your area.
Old 11-01-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road

We used to moor our soling between a dock and a mushroom anchor. After attaching hefty-sized block atop the mooring ball, we were able to rig a big loop - like a clothesline- between the dock and the mooring ball. We then tied the boat up to this "clothesline" . You could have lines spliced into it in the right places for your boat. When we wanted to go sailing, we''d uncleat the "clotheline" and pull the boat in. When we were done, we could come in alongside the dock, clean up & unload, and then pull the boat back out. It takes a long line, and you have to be sure there''s no boat traffic that might snare the line between the boat and the dock, but it''s very convenient.
Old 11-04-2003

Real Ale is on a distinguished road

Many thanks to both of you for your replies. They have sparked off further ideas and I''m going to look at how I could adapt them for here. Unfortunately the water at the jetty is too shallow to pull the boat in for unloading and I''ll probably have to use a tender.

Any other suggestions welcome!
Old 11-13-2003

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

Maybe what you want is an old truck tire filled with cement solid with a piece of one inch rebar bent in a U with the ends bent at a 90 so it cant pull out and get a crew to help you sink it off a couple of barrels or a barge make sure you have the heavy line attached with a good clevis all heavy stuff and a ball get it right the first time as it will be there to stay. The water cops may hassel you if you don''t get a mooring permit.