Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012

Pedronimo is on a distinguished road
Cool Inexperienced crew members who want to sail

Hey fortune!!!

I have the luck to prepare a trip around the world with my girlfriend and I want to sail during one month approximately out of 11 (between July 2012 and May 2013).

We are unexperienced and motivated. We were hoping that we could learn to sail without just taking sail classes but instead by being directly the cheapest crewmembers ever.

Bye
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Your request is very unclear. Is your trip around the world by land and you want to learn to sail along the way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-16-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Try
Offshore Passage Opportunities: Halesite, New York
or
NAUTYCAL Find a Crew™

Or better yet, sell your car and go with
John Kretschmer Sailing - Training Passages - Workshops - Presentations - Expeditions - Writing/Photography
Old 02-16-2012

Fortune is on its way

Thanks a lot sailingfool

I found some interesting request to find a crew. It may reply to my needs because there is also a possibility to be on a boat as inexperienced crew mates.

Thanks again
Old 02-21-2012

Espoir is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Your request is very unclear. Is your trip around the world by land and you want to learn to sail along the way?
@Minnewaska:

My understanding is that his around the world-trip will take place between July 2012 and May 2013, and that he wants to spend one month in between sailing.

I hope I'm doing this right, it's my first post here.
Old 02-21-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
I think Pedro (the OP) is looking for an inexpensive way for him and his friend to go cruising. If they have some sort of on-the-water experience, are good at roughing it and open to new experiences, and don't have any lifestyle conflicts with their potential skippers, there could be some cruisers who would welcome them. Pedro and his girlfriend might have an even better chance of going cruising if they can go on some short sails to increase their sailing skills and gain some references. Also, if personalities or other aspects of the trip don't work out, the consequences are much less of a bother on a short trip.
Old 02-25-2012

Question Rip off

Hi to every sail lover,

Thanks rgscpat you've summarized perfectly well my situation.
I'm currently looking for a boat on NAUTYCAL Find a Crew™ thanks to sailingfool.

I'm also experiencing a rip off. Because one guy on this website offer me to be inexperienced sailors on his boat with my girlfriend if and only if we pay a part of the maintenance of the boat 280 € per week per sailor + Money for the daily consume, diesel fuel, gas, fees and so on will be administrated by a crew member. (Circa € 120,-per crew member and week).
The skipper don`t pay in, but he consume also.

So 2 weeks for 2 people would be 280*4 + 120*4 = 1 600€
This is my first experience and I believe that's not fair
Old 02-25-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
You are learning quickly about sail lovers...
Dream'n likes this.
Old 02-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedronimo View Post

So 2 weeks for 2 people would be 280*4 + 120*4 = 1 600€

This is my first experience and I believe that's not fair
This is just a charter by the bunk. If were to do that, I would expect to have no onboard responsibilities, including cooking or cleaning up after myself.

On the ther hand, if you're looking to ride for free as crew, expect that you will be the one cooking and cleaning for the rest, among much more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-25-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
For that much money, I would expect a professional, licensed, captain who provides instruction, and a high level of service. I would expect references and testimonials.

Some captains give better value than others. Those who provide a good service and good instruction can deservedly earn their fees. Some others, though, might be a rip-off or might be taking advantage of inexperience. When you talk with a captain, does he seem very willing to talk about the passage, the boat, his credentials, and refer you to former crew members? Do you feel comfortable trusting your self and someone you care about deeply to be kept safe by the captain and would you feel comfortable being in an intimate, inescapable confinement with him?

Tags
crew available , crew beginner newbee , crewing