SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What size lines to use on my sailboat?

6K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  jaschrumpf 
#1 ·
Hello! I recently purchased a 1967 Islander Bahama 24. She is beautiful, but needs to have most all lines installed. How do I decide what diameter/what type of lines to get? Thanks for your help!

#4 ·
Hi and welcome aboard.

You may want to talk to a shop that sells running rigging as there is more to it than just diameter. Different types of line have different strengths and strech ratios. I recently replaced all my 3/8" diameter halyards with 5/16" lines made of Dyneema which has higher ultimate strength and less strech than the old lines. West Marine has a pretty good guide to lines in their catalog that would give you a pretty good place to start.

St Anna is right too, you have to use a diameter that will fit the sheeves too.

#8 ·
What you need, is nothing more than 1/4" diameter. What feels good in your hand is up to you and your crew. I use line from 7/64th to 3/8th on my 25 footer, but most of that has to do with low stretch and low weight. If you're not concerned with that, then buy a spool of 3/8th sta-set and be done with it. Use it for the whole boat. Not a great line, but it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.