Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: What to take to sailing school?

Popeye lunch box (he was a sailor after all).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Just in case bring one set of warm weather shorts and short sleave shirt.

No matter what they say the weather will be, it can be the opposite.
Might me the hottest it has been in 100 years.

Just happened to us.
We were told it was going to be cold and all we wore were shorts.
Unusually hot everyone said.
We had to make do with one third of what we brought.
Old 03-06-2012

rickvw is on a distinguished road

What an amazing array of responses! The Popeye lunch box is definitely on my list. It will be a guitar and a harmonica (guitar on the hard only). I have experienced swings of temperature in northern Minnesota fishing trips with my Dad so I will plan for both. I am attending this school with two great friends. We can support each other in our learning and processing of the experience each day. I am currently doing as much book work as I can. The school from northern Michigan has sent my study guides and textbooks so it is my hope that I will have as much of the terminology down before I leave in June. We will have three days in between the 101-103 course and the 104 course. The sailing school is giving us access to a boat during those days to practice what we learned in those two first classes. It is my intent to keep a journal on the whole process (I am an English teacher of course) and am willing to share if anyone is interested.
jameswilson29 and ppiccolo1 like this.
Old 03-06-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvw View Post
It is my intent to keep a journal on the whole process (I am an English teacher of course) and am willing to share if anyone is interested.
That would be fun to read, please do.
Old 03-06-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Fleece stuff is always good. As in mountaineering, remember "cotton kills." A good wool ski hat that won't blow off and will cover your ears may come in handy. +1 on the dry socks, boots, and a balaclava. Don't worry about expensive Goretex type clothes. Good quality Helly Hansen commercial rain jacket/pants are a good investment and will last you for years. )Get green so you don't look like a yachtie)
Old 03-06-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Wool socks. I know, I know. But what you think is not true. Wool can get wet and still keep you warm. They won't rub a blister when they get wet, and they will dry out with body heat. Smartwool is a very good brand, I even wear them here in South Texas in the summertime.
Also wool or silk thermal underwear as a base layer. Then all the rest can be anything you want. It seems plastic clothes are cold when it is cold and hot when it is hot. Wool and silk not so.
Sounds like a fun program. Are the Great Lakes programs more affordable that the Florida/Caribbean programs?
John
Old 03-06-2012

rickvw is on a distinguished road

Wool is a great idea! I will check into that. I don't know about how the price compares. It is expensive but to get three certifications and some practice time and a cool cruise is very sweet. You can easily figure out where I am going. There aren't too many schools in Northern Michigan on Lake Michigan.
Old 03-06-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Rick, there are nice lightweight wool socks. The Tilley (hat) company maeks some and they're expensive--but they may delight your feet for ten years.

Headgear, baseball cap AND retainer strap, sunglasses AND retainer strap...unless they stay on real real well. A wool watch cap with a small sun visor in it is called a "jeep cap" like what Radar always wore on MASH. Makes a good compromise when it is still chilly out but when you're looking aloft to see sail shape, the visor helps.

If you have to spend two weeks in foulies...the first layer, the underwear, really count. (Socks too.) Wool and silk keep you dry and warm. (Thin light silk from China has become really cheap, too.) So do the "wicking" plastics but cotton can be worse than useless. And that applies to your pants as well, blue jeans stay wet forever and chill you. Nylon or poly blend pants will at least dry in a short time.

And sailing gloves. Whatever fits well. You can also get knit kevlar gloves (always in a dull yellow color) at most hardware stores, designed for handling rough materials. Kevlar lasts forever and totally prevents rope burns, doesn't come apart the way sailing gloves often do. And the knit helps with fit.

Sunblock and chapstick can be very handy too.

Any camping store should be able to help you out with clothes that help keep you warm and drier, and for most sailors, a dry sailor is a happy sailor.
Old 03-07-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Is this a liveaboard course?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-12-2012

Aussie escapade is on a distinguished road

This may sound strange but chapstick!! My lips got so wind burnt when i went sailing (it was in summer in Australia - but still)
Also take a water bottle. It's amazing how strenuous it can be at times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.