Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: What to take to sailing school?

I always found I left the class feeling a bit dehydrated and hungry. You're too busy to think much about drinking water but you'll sweat out a load. Also the boats I sailed had no head so I tended to under-drink.

After a while I started leaving a cooler in the car with a drink and a snack for the drive home, or sometimes a flask of hot tea. This is a hiking trick of mine too, nothing like some hot tea and a chocolate bar waiting for you in the car.

Another idea is to bring a treat to share on the boat - cookies, candy, or whatever. Ginger cookies are great.

Finally I love my Seaspecs. Mostly I used the tinted ones but I have a polarised pair without tint which are great for overcast days. They keep the wind out of your eyes so they don't water or get sore.
Old 03-13-2012

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road

Water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperiorGeezer View Post
Water
Please, in future, could you keep your posts brief and succinct?
Old 03-16-2012

rickvw is on a distinguished road

It is a live aboard class and I will be aboard for two weeks.
Old 03-16-2012

Sn0wman is on a distinguished road

If you are going to the school based near Traverse City, Leave some time for nosing around the town. We sail out of TC and more often than not June is pretty good, warm weather, but as the saying goes here, if you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes.

And if you are doing this school, I'd be glad to help with any local info I may be able to share.

Good Luck.
Old 03-17-2012

I am taking class near Traverse City. Two of my friends are joining me for the classes. We will be around that area for more than a week and will plan some exploring. What is there to do? Is there live music available?
Old 03-18-2012
more JOY everywhere!

Jane.Joy is on a distinguished road

My favorite piece of clothing for cold weather sailing was a long-sleeved, snug, thin fleece "undershirt." Never took it off for days on end. And I will echo the call for extra socks. Wool or fleece. But you are from Minnesota and you know this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-22-2012

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

I agree that clothing has been well covered. Being from Minn. you are familiar with our seasons in the North. They change every 5 minutes.
Assuming that you are taking the courses from BBYC. A good group of instructors and usually classmates. I have taken those classes from them in June and there were days when we got sunburned all day and then it went to high 30's at night and the burn made it extra cold. Bring SUNSCREEN!

After a night at Beaver Is. in the 30's I found the bath house was a wonderful, warm place. If I would have known it was that warm in the middle of the night I think I would have slept there!

Layers, and at least one of them water proof, and you will be fine. Have a great time and do read the material ahead of time. The guy in the class that does not read ahead, and there will be one, will slow the rest up a little.
Old 03-22-2012

I have been reading, and studying. I am pretty green so I will need to be well prepared. I am wondering about flotation devices. Whether I should just use what ever they have or if I should bring one of my own and what would be my best choice?
Old 03-22-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Rick, you might want to holdoff on buying a PFD. See what they have and how it actually fits and feels.

Personally...an automatic inflateable with harness and crotch strap (which is essential) but there are some differences in which ones are most comfortable versus which ones work best. You can find the old PS reviews and in-water comparisons online if you hunt around a little, they're still pretty current.

But nothing beats trying them on, to see what chafes your neck or fits your chest or doesn't have anyplace to stick a signal mirror, etc. in the pocket. What pocket?

Remember, before you even get on the boat, ask everyone "Can I borrow ten bucks from you?" That way they've all got a vested interest in getting you back on board if you go over. (VBG)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.