Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012

rickvw is on a distinguished road
What to take to sailing school?

In early June I will be attending sailing school for two weeks on northern Lake Michigan. I will be working on ASA 101, 103, and 104. I am currently gathering the gear I will need during my school. I grew up in Minnesota and so I understand that it will be cold and colder on the water, especially that time of year. I have acquired a rain suit and I have plenty of clothing for layering. My question concerns outerwear. I think key investments might be a jacket of some type and pants. Non-marking shoes are also a requirement. What recommendations do you experienced folk have in this area for a beginner of modest means?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvw View Post
In early June I will be attending sailing school for two weeks on northern Lake Michigan. I will be working on ASA 101, 103, and 104. ...What recommendations do you experienced folk have in this area for a beginner of modest means?
My advice is not to get all wacky with the high-end sailing clothes. LL Bean carries modestly priced outerwear that should be fine. You'll want something with windbreaking capabilities. Check the sale link at places that sell sailing clothes. It's mostly for racers, but I've had good luck buying from the sale rack at Annapolis Performance Sailing.

Sailing gloves (I use kayaking gloves with the half-fingers) should be high on your list. I find during long sails they help curb fatigue and help give you a better grip on lines. Keep your hands a bit warmer, too.

Polarized sunglasses also help with the fatigue and to see better. I wear mine even when it's slightly overcast because they cut down on the glare tremendously. If you're skeptical, wear non-polarized and then switch. You'll see a huge difference.

I would suggest good socks, too, despite it being June. If your feet happen to get wet there's few things more miserable than wearing wet socks or being sock-less in wet shoes when it's chilly.

Best of luck with your class!
Dean101 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-04-2012

rickvw is on a distinguished road
Great advice

I just purchased a Guide Jacket off of the sale rack at APS for a great price, thank you soo much. I have a pair of bike gloves. DRFerron, your advice was very helpful. Will any non-marking athletic shoe work?
Old 03-04-2012
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvw View Post
Will any non-marking athletic shoe work?
Pretty much. The important thing is to not mark up the deck and to protect your toes from that pesky sailboat hardware.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 03-04-2012
A mod and her dragon

One thing I'd add about using athletic shoes: make sure before you board that there are no stones lodged in the crevices of the soles.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 03-04-2012

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
with the colder weather you may want to consider boots instead of shoes, once they get wet.... Boots will keep you dryer warmer for longer.
bring ski goggles and also garden gloves to go over the half fingered ones, keeps hands warmer again easy to remove if needed.
a good balaclava or hat is important as well.
wear good wicking ability cloths as well as layers

Old 03-04-2012

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS You will need to stop the heat escaping from your neck and head so good hat, fur works great and is always a talking point a good scarf to stop the drips going down your back is a great move take your own bucket with a chundder mark for your depth of contemplation and loads of canndy your going to burn so many calleries just staying warm that will need replaceing, and a good sence of houmor and you will be sound GO SAFE
Old 03-05-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: What to take to sailing school?

I think everyone above has clothing and shoes covered.

Just bring an inquiring mind and a willing attitude. You'll love it.
Old 03-05-2012
A mod and her dragon

Not clothing related, but at the end of each day I suggest that you spend an hour or so by yourself thinking over the day and writing down questions that you have while they're fresh. That way you can ask your instructor the next day. If there is something you're just not getting, don't be afraid to question and continue questioning until you have it straight. You're paying them for answers not just instruction. Hopefully, if your instructor doesn't know an answer, he or she will be honest enough to say 'I don't know."

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 03-05-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

a harmonica and twice as many pairs of socks as you think you will need.
and three times as much rum.
RobGallagher and Rozz like this.