Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: can only tack close reach, can't close-haul

When I see the boom drooping like that, the first thing I think of is that your sail is blown and baggy. My Wayfarer had the same issue with the old sail so I got a new North sail.
Old 03-15-2012

robbieland is on a distinguished road
can only tack close reach, can't close-haul

I'm going back out this coming Wednesday and will get detailed images. The above image doesn't provide proper info regarding sails or lake. The boat/lake is currently 250 miles away or I would have posted sooner. I do sail with the reference of a port and starboard Davis wind tels on the shrouds. Again, I will also address specific suggestions in order to improve pointing. The issue of raising the sail properly is an interesting never thought of thought, which I will try to understand and achieve. And as mentioned, the foot is quite baggy, so I feel something is amiss..
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2012

apf125 is on a distinguished road

Tell tales on the shrouds are a good start, but I also would install some yarn ones on both sides of your jib.

To go close hauled, you trim your jib all the way and try to keep both the windward and leeward tell tale streaming straight back. If the windward tell tale is fluttering you are pointed too high and if the leeward is fluttering you are pointed too low. If you do this and still are not able to sail upwind, you know that something on your boat needs tweaking and it's not your technique.

To learn more about tell tales, check out this link: WB-Sails Ltd There are some cool animations explaining how to use jib tell tales and how to install them properly.

Last edited by apf125; 03-15-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-15-2012
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Re: older distant images of sail and boat in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieland View Post
These are older images of boat taken month ago, which may provide an idea of the issue of unable to sail any closer into true wind than I should with this DS 2. Once I return to lake, I'll post more detail of rig.

where was this picture taken (if I may ask) ?
Old 03-15-2012

can only tack close reach, can't close-haul

This is in LakeToxaway, North Carolina.
Old 03-16-2012
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieland View Post
And as mentioned, the foot is quite baggy, so I feel something is amiss..
Thanks
IIRC, the Daysailers had a pronounced 'shelf foot' in their stock mainsails. (Can anyone confirm that? I was, like, twelve years old.) If that is correct, you won't be able to remove that 'baggyness' with any combination of halyard, downhaul, and outhaul. It's sorta sewn into the foot of the sail. What's more important is the shape of the sail 1/3 the way up. It should be smooth, with max draft around half way back (or just forward of that) and no more than 12" deep.

As others have noted, tho, windward performance is all about getting the jib right. Clew needs to be held down and in; forestay taut, luff well-tensioned; a little bit of twist up high will give you power, but you want to make sure your top telltells are streaming, esp. in light air. Does your DS have adjustable jib cars? Again, it's been many years since I sailed one.
Old 03-23-2012

late late update, but have been away from boat until now. here are several images i took of my rig yesterday. so, if anyone cares to gander at this point and notice anything please let me know. thanks for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
can only tack close reach, can't close-haul-img_6433.jpg   can only tack close reach, can't close-haul-img_6435.jpg   can only tack close reach, can't close-haul-img_6437.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

your mainsheet is not rigged properly. It should go back thuvthe block on the boom and back to the cleat on the back of the centerboard trunk (if I remember right). Your main is not trimmed in enough in any of the pictures. Can't really see if the jib is trimmed properly, but if it is trimmed like the main, it is too loose.
Old 03-23-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

It looks like your boom vang is missing, and you need to tension the main outhaul. It also looks like you may have some tension on the windward jib sheet, causing the jib clew to curl inboard a bit (it should be absolutely slack). And what kind of a daysailer doesn't have a few empty beer bottles rolling around on the cockpit sole??? (Kids these days)
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 03-23-2012

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

In very light wind, the sails should be pretty flat. Think of the wind having to bend around the luff. In very light winds it doesn't have that much energy to take big angles so you have to turn down more. That extra because of the full sail could be a problem. Adding a bit more upwind fullness for power in the light is not for when it is very light. Also you won't point as high in light conditions anyway it kills your speed and stops the apparent wind moving ahead. You have to build "speed" first.
One good way of learning is racing against a buddy boat. Nothing helps to learn the right sail settings more than overtaking your buddy.