Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Will learning to sail on a Cat ruin me forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Yes. You might like it!

Actually, I can go for years at a time not sailing a monohull. When I do, it's awkward for an hour or so, and then I'm right back in the grove. I like monohulls too. Honestly, I think the opposite transition (mono to multihull) is more awkward, at least from the comments I've heard.

Plenty of folks start with a Hobie, switch to a mono, and then switch to a larger cat later.
mono to multi is more awkward, a cat sailor has a much easier time ajusting to a mono the the other way around.
Did you watch any of the early America's Cup racing with the 45' cats. some of the best mono sailor in the world look like they were learing to sail a hobie cat for the first time. I wanted to say, do want me to show you how. They did every don't do with a cat that there is. it would have been a lot less expensive if they had some small cat experiance before they pitched poled a 45' cat
Old 03-18-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Usually I'd suggest hitting the local marina, walking the docks to look at boats and maybe meet someone to go sailing with....but PK isn't really a "sailing" lake. Are you planning to sail on PK?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2012
boatless

RyanR620 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Usually I'd suggest hitting the local marina, walking the docks to look at boats and maybe meet someone to go sailing with....but PK isn't really a "sailing" lake. Are you planning to sail on PK?
Yeah, we'll be sailing PK.

Why exactly is PK not a sailing lake? I've often wondered that, as it seems like it'd be great...though I have no sailing experience, what-so-ever

Maybe it's a terrible lake, and I should just get a jet ski (kidding, I promise...)

I figured it might have something to do with the orientation of the lake, or the fact that the winds on the south end would be buffeted by the cliffs around that end.

There are a few boats around here. I've seen them out on the water every so often, but if you hang around the docks, it's mostly runabouts and bass fishing boats.

Quote:
A quick glance at Possum Kingdom Lake on Google maps shows it as having some fairly long stretches of open water. It also has a nearby airport. Airports are designed to take advantage of prevailing winds, implying your wind will be running along the long axis of the lake - you might end up doing a lot of tacking on the upwind leg of your lake, so that might be something to keep in mind.
during the summer, the wind blows almost straight out of the south, so...right up the lake
Old 03-19-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

I love PK! I have wonderful memories going all the way back to the mid 70's, boating with my dad on PK and snorkeling the island at Hell's Gate. He'd rent me mask/fins/snorkel at Scuba Point (moment of silence please, it still hurts)...and the first open water dive I did when certified back in 83 was at SP. We frequently rent pontoon boats for dive weekends, camping at the State Park, rafting up in Hells Gate....using the lake from State Park to Governors Cove.

However...for sailing...not so good. The lake is very narrow and winds back upon itself, filling a river canyon. You can sail it, it's just quite a challenge due to the layout and prevailing winds in the area. I don't think I've ever seen a sailboat on the lake...however, I don't normally go to the north end where it's a bit wider, muddy and shallow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 03-19-2012

Roxy405 is on a distinguished road

The Bahia & the Hobie are quite different boats in their own way—which one is better for you depends primarily on what you want to do with it.

For tearing around a lake on a day with a decent breeze, the Hobie with a trapeze or two would be brilliant. I've sailed them a few times off beaches in the Med & they're superb on a powerful early-afternoon sea breeze when you can get out on the wire while skimming a hull. Because they're wide you can push them hard before you reach the point of no return and speed-wise they're comparable to an I-14 while being a friendly & forgiving sail. The down side of all this is that they don't really work in the light stuff, are capable of getting stuck head to wind if you tack carelessly, and they're harder to get back the right way up than a monohull.

The Bahia seems to be Laser's answer to a family boat (wide, stable, easily reefable sails, able to carry a motor etc) that can still be a bit lively with the kite up and a trapeze if you want. Haven't really caught on over here though, so I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh. But maybe better if what you want is something that can be both fun to sail fast for a few hours & also capable of being turned into a more relaxed daysailing dinghy. Alternatively, it might just not be very good at either--hard to say.

Probably the best way to resolve it is simply to go for a sail in each & see what appeals.

Last edited by Roxy405; 03-19-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-19-2012
boatless

RyanR620 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I love PK! I have wonderful memories going all the way back to the mid 70's, boating with my dad on PK and snorkeling the island at Hell's Gate. He'd rent me mask/fins/snorkel at Scuba Point (moment of silence please, it still hurts)...and the first open water dive I did when certified back in 83 was at SP. We frequently rent pontoon boats for dive weekends, camping at the State Park, rafting up in Hells Gate....using the lake from State Park to Governors Cove.

However...for sailing...not so good. The lake is very narrow and winds back upon itself, filling a river canyon. You can sail it, it's just quite a challenge due to the layout and prevailing winds in the area. I don't think I've ever seen a sailboat on the lake...however, I don't normally go to the north end where it's a bit wider, muddy and shallow.
I haven't dove (dived? ) here yet, but one of the guys I work with is a big diver. I haven't been underwater with supplemental air in about 8 years, but we're supposed to try the lake sometime this summer. I've heard the shop at scuba point used to be a pretty good shop. The retail world out here is interesting...there is such a huge need of stores/shops/restraunts for all the summer crowd, but no one can make it through the slow winters

I kind of had a feeling it'd be a hard lake for sailing

But...it's home (for now). We would probably put in mid-lake...around sandy beach, and stick to the north end. you're not down in the canyon like on the south end of the lake. It's also part of the reason we're thinking small day sailor/dingy/cat instead of something like a 22-25ft boat. Plus...something small like the Bahia or a Hobie (or whatever else in that size category) would be able to be thrown on a trailer and taken to other lakes, or the coast when we visit the in-laws.
Old 04-05-2012

tarmes is on a distinguished road

Our club has both cats and monohulls such as the Laser. I've only been sailing a year or so but in my experience so far I much prefer the monohull.

I like the fact that the monohull is more sensitive and requires far more technique (at least at my level) to keep it sailing fast without capsizing it. I find it more of a challenge and I enjoy that.

Each time I get on the cat I get bored - but maybe that'll change once I'm up to speed on using the trapeze....
Old 04-05-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmes View Post
... Each time I get on the cat I get bored - but maybe that'll change once I'm up to speed on using the trapeze....
Small cats only come alive when a hull is out of the water and capsize quite possible. They become a challenge when waves are sweeping the whole boat and there are 2 on the wire, when you can pitchpole hard enough to land 15 feet in front of the boat--then you'll know you're doing something.

Plenty of "feel" then. Until you can keep it on one hull for 1/4-mile, you've barely been introduced.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-06-2012

tarmes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Plenty of "feel" then. Until you can keep it on one hull for 1/4-mile, you've barely been introduced.
Well, I'll look forward to that

Obviously my current experience is very limited so I'll readily admit that I don't have enough sail time under my belt to know what i'll enjoy most in a few years time. That said, the OP is in the same position as I was last year...

Following the advice of club member I currently I take out the monohulls when there's a light wind that I can learn to sail in without capsizing constantly. Conversely, when the wind is stronger I take a 12' of 15' cat. I haven't yet been out in any really strong winds but I find the mono more challenging in the lighter wind than the cat in the stronger wind.

I'm curious about the comments that suggest that a cat sailer can adjust to a monohull more easily than a monohull sailer to a cat. My first sessions were an a cat and I found them quite easy. I was quickly put into place when I took out a monohull for the first time!

Finally, from a purely emotional point of view, I find monos more beautiful to look at

Tim
Old 04-06-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmes View Post
Well, I'll look forward to that ... Conversely, when the wind is stronger I take a 12' of 15' cat....Tim
Assuming these are roto-molded Hobies, they aren't real beach cats. Those are cheaped-out products of the US market designed to be more more stable and forgiving to keep beginners out of trouble... meaning slow and boring. IMHO, a complete waste of plastic. I'm a cat sailor and would chose the Laser over those every time.

Now, if you get a ride on a NACRA, Prindle, Hobie Tiger or 18 or 17, or Stiletto, you'll have a different expereince.

There are several lessons high-performance cats teach that non-planing dingies don't:
* Trapeze balance. Easy on flat water, not on rough water.
* What do you do on a reach when the lee bow starts to bury? How do you predict this?
* How to steer when overtaking waves.
* Not letting the boat stall; planing boats can become capsize prone if sailed to slowly, and cats start making leeway. Both of these boats don't sail well unless pressed to their full potencial.
Upwind, they are not so different.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Tags
bahia , hobie , noob