Sail Choice - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-18-2012 Thread Starter

Sail Choice

I'm going to be taking my new to me Hunter 23 for my first sail and I'm going by myself - it's the challenge of it thing. I'm thinking of starting out with one sail and then adding the second sail as I get more comfortable, all depending on wind conditions, etc. The questions is, do I start out with the main and then try to add the jib or start with the jib and add the main? Halyards are at the mast so I have a little bit of scrambling around to raise the sails.

Thanks.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2012

Re: Sail Choice

I would start with the main, so that you are assured of some weather helm to help correct a mistake.

If you want to be able to single hand often, you really need to get the halyards through blocks and back to the cockpit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-18-2012
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Definitely main and there is no shame in putting in a reef if you think it might be windy.

A Hunter 23 will tack just fine on main only. Add the headsail if you are comfortable.

Do you have a tillerpilot. If not set up something that will allow you to fix the tiller in one place.

But if you think you might single hand often get a tillerpilot it makes things safer.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2012 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I went out for about two hours and everything went pretty well. The wind was light and variable which helped keep things from getting crazy. I rigged up a Cajun tiller tamer and used the outboard in gear to keep the boat headed into the wind while I raised the main and did the same to lower the sail. I was a little worried about keeping everything under control so I didn't raise the jib. I identified a couple of things equipment wise that will make everything go a little better the next time.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-19-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

Nice...that's what it's all about, thinking it through and give it a try. Once you're comfortable on the main alone....try the jib alone....get familiar and use to how both of them handle, trim, tack, douse....then fly 'em both! You'll be single-handing under full sail in no time at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.