Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Re: ASA 101 course or challenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
RTFM. These steps are in fact the boat handling part of the "correct actions" referred to in the last ASA standard:
"item 52: Describe and demonstrate the correct actions to be taken while under sail from the time a person falls overboard until safely recovered." Its what yoiu learn in 101 - anything else is not the ASA STANDARD.
I have RTFM. I probably wouldn't have a problem with the correct actions to get a MOB back on board, but I hope that I am not going to challenge with an instructor that thinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
It is relatively easy to fail someone if the instructor is so disposed. For example, do you want to bet several hundred dollars that you'll complete your first figure eight MOB exercise right on-the-spot...
This comment gets to the heart of the problems with "certification" in my opinion. Granted, an ASA101 certification is pretty much not worth more than the pride it gives to the receiver, but there should not be as much subjective grading as there is, especially if an instructor has an financial interest in failing a challenge student and "get sent to class" for another sum of cash. It smells of racket in this case.
Old 03-28-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfh View Post
I think it depends a lot on your motivation for taking it. I took the 2-day ASA 101 course a few years ago with my wife, before we had a boat. I had sailed a little and was reading everything I could on the subject, and I personally found it a little basic. But my main reason for taking it was to get my wife interested in sailing (she had never been on a sailboat). I thought it would be a good thing for us to do together, to get some real instruction with the same baseline for terminology and technique, and hopefully help talk her into buying a boat.

I don't regret it a bit, and I did learn some things--mostly from the hands-on part. If you're looking to really get some time on the water with the instructor, I think the 2 day is probably better. If you're trying to test out so that you can get into the higher classes to get bareboat certified or something, you're probably better off with the quick and dirty.
I'm just surprised it can be done in two days. When I did it, it took 4.
Old 03-28-2012

Wandrian is on a distinguished road

If you've been sailing and studying the book, then you probably already know what's on the test, and the rest is common sense. Take the challenge. It's always fun sailing outside ofhome waters, and you get casually note in future conversations how you sailed in San Diego! Have fun!
jameswilson29 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
...This comment gets to the heart of the problems with "certification" in my opinion. Granted, an ASA101 certification is pretty much not worth more than the pride it gives to the receiver, but there should not be as much subjective grading as there is, especially if an instructor has an financial interest in failing a challenge student and "get sent to class" for another sum of cash. It smells of racket in this case.
No accreditation of any type would be worth much if the requirements it presents were lightly skipped. I dont think there's a lot of subjectivity about whether a skill is demonstrated properly or not. The subjectivity is what happens when it is not - after demonstrating what is expected, how often do you coach the candidate through additional attempts...actually an instructor may be just as disposed to pass a 101 challenge as diisposed otherwise, usually the challenger wants to go into a 103 or a club sailing program. A good instructor is free to be what he or she should naturally be, firm but fair. As in any business, a customer who is jerked around can go somewhere else.

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-28-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-28-2012

Wandrian is on a distinguished road

After searching my memory, I can honestly say that I don't believe I have ever been asked by any individual or organization if I have had passed ASA101 - except to take other ASA courses. At any rate, it's fun sailing past all of those huge Naval ships in San Diego Bay.
Old 03-28-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandrian View Post
At any rate, it's fun sailing past all of those huge Naval ships in San Diego Bay.
Now, that's something worth the price of admission! I thought about renting a boat, but for about the same price I can hit the water with a competent instructor/examiner and possibly walk away with a piece of paper with a gold star!
Old 03-28-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandrian View Post
After searching my memory, I can honestly say that I don't believe I have ever been asked by any individual or organization if I have had passed ASA101 - except to take other ASA courses. At any rate, it's fun sailing past all of those huge Naval ships in San Diego Bay.
I have only been asked for it to charter a boat. But when I first wanted to learn how to sail, with no family or friends who sailed and no knowledge of local, inexpensive sailing clubs, it was the only option that I could see to get me on the road to reaching my goal. I'm sure there are others in that situation.

I hope we're not discouraging future sailors because taking the course is a learning experience. It's not always about getting the little sticker for your log book (and in the course I took, the PA state boating certificate as well).

In any event, I also see it as a way to pick the brain of a more experienced sailor. Something everyone should take advantage of whenever possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-28-2012

06HarleyUltra is on a distinguished road

When I recently took the ASA 101 course (3 Sundays, IIRC), I had very limited experience with sailing. I could not repeatedly perform the MOB drill to perfection, and the instructor would not pass me until I could. He brought me in for 4 additional hours of practice on his own time. We worked until I could do it SPOT ON. I feel that with any certification course, you get out what you put in. If your just looking for a stamp, do the challenge. If your looking to perfect a technique that may one day save someone....Just my 2 $ from a nube. Best of luck either way.
Old 03-28-2012

gpgyo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
I have read Sailing Made Easy (the ASA-approved training book), as well as several others.
From the standpoint of what's on the 101 written exam, I'm sure the book you have covers it all but the ASA approved class I just took used, Sailing Fundamentals by Gary Jobson.
Old 03-28-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgyo View Post
From the standpoint of what's on the 101 written exam, I'm sure the book you have covers it all but the ASA approved class I just took used, Sailing Fundamentals by Gary Jobson.
Sailing Fundamentals is OK but was subject to some criticism, and as a response ASA came out with Sailing Made Easy. So the latter is the latest, greatest ASA101 book and is supposed to be a considerable improvement on the old course book.

The biggest criticism I would have concerning Sailing Fundamentals is that it mixes 101 and 103 content and it is seldom clear which material applies to which standard.

If you want a sort of simple summary of everything, the course notes I got from the sailing school take some beating.