SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   ASA 101 course or challenge? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/85502-asa-101-course-challenge.html)

itsaboat 03-27-2012 01:31 PM

ASA 101 course or challenge?

I have been sailing for a couple of months on our new to us Pearson 27 and am thinking about going ahead and getting ASA 101 Keelboat certified soon. I have read Sailing Made Easy (the ASA-approved training book), as well as several others.

There is one instructor available locally that offers the 2-day course/exam and I am considering that. However, I am going to San Diego on business in May where there is a school that offers an ASA 101 challenge as well, which is a one day paper/water exam. The challenge is much less expensive. I have a life time of learning ahead of me about the nuances of sailing and sail trim, but I don't think I would have that much of a problem passing the 101 (I hope). Any recommendations?

jackdale 03-27-2012 01:37 PM

Re: ASA 101 course or challenge?

Check out the standards on the ASA web site. If you feel confident go for the challenge. You might actually find that being on a boat with raw rookies can be a little frustrating.

misfits 03-27-2012 01:46 PM

I took the course a couple of years ago & thought it was money well spent.

Bob

tomandchris 03-27-2012 04:40 PM

I would challenge and use the $$$$ to take a more advanced class if you want. I was under the impression that you could challenge at any ASA affiliate.

itsaboat 03-27-2012 08:02 PM

Thanks all for the advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomandchris (Post 851306)
I would challenge and use the $$$$ to take a more advanced class if you want. I was under the impression that you could challenge at any ASA affiliate.

I'll ask our local guy if he has ever done a challenge.

sailingfool 03-27-2012 09:17 PM

You should be able to challenge at any ASA school, but some dont like handling it. It is relatively easy to fail someone if the instructor is so disposed. For example, do you want to bet several hundred dollars that you'll complete your first figure eight MOB exercise right on-the-spot... the MOB to windward amidships, boat completely stopped in the safety position? If you dont know what every word in the description means, dont even think of trying...

itsaboat 03-27-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 851428)
You should be able to challenge at any ASA school, but some dont like handling it. It is relatively easy to fail someone if the instructor is so disposed. For example, do you want to bet several hundred dollars that you'll complete your first figure eight MOB exercise right on-the-spot... the MOB to windward amidships, boat completely stopped in the safety position? If you dont know what every word in the description means, dont even think of trying...

Are these skills that you require as an ASA 101 instructor? They seem to be beyond the ASA 101 standards from what I have read.

chip 03-27-2012 10:14 PM

I think it depends a lot on your motivation for taking it. I took the 2-day ASA 101 course a few years ago with my wife, before we had a boat. I had sailed a little and was reading everything I could on the subject, and I personally found it a little basic. But my main reason for taking it was to get my wife interested in sailing (she had never been on a sailboat). I thought it would be a good thing for us to do together, to get some real instruction with the same baseline for terminology and technique, and hopefully help talk her into buying a boat.

I don't regret it a bit, and I did learn some things--mostly from the hands-on part. If you're looking to really get some time on the water with the instructor, I think the 2 day is probably better. If you're trying to test out so that you can get into the higher classes to get bareboat certified or something, you're probably better off with the quick and dirty.

davidpm 03-27-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 851428)
boat completely stopped in the safety position?

That's the hard part.
I'm going for instruct cert and I can do it every time but I'm always moving a bit and if I slow down then I drift off. Tricky one that!!!

sailingfool 03-27-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsaboat (Post 851439)
Are these skills that you require as an ASA 101 instructor? They seem to be beyond the ASA 101 standards from what I have read.

RTFM. These steps are in the boat handling part of the "correct actions" referred to in the last ASA standard:
"item 52: Describe and demonstrate the correct actions to be taken while under sail from the time a person falls overboard until safely recovered." Its what you learn in 101 - anything else is not the ASA 101 STANDARD.