Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012

jjaug17 is on a distinguished road
Private Instructor wanted for refresher in USVI

Private Instructor wanted for refresher in USVI.

I have months of experience on sailboats, and ASA 101-106 under my belt, but I've been out of the game for about 6 years. I just need a refresher from an ASA or USSA certified sailing instructor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2012

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Private Instructor wanted for refresher in USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaug17 View Post
Private Instructor wanted for refresher in USVI.

I have months of experience on sailboats, and ASA 101-106 under my belt, but I've been out of the game for about 6 years. I just need a refresher from an ASA or USSA certified sailing instructor.
I am your man, ASA certified instructor. USCG 100 ton masters license. 40 years sailing experience.

As you say you have been out of sailing for 6 years. In my expert opinion it should not take more than 2 months of extensive training.

Your responsibility: flight to and from USVI, 5 star accommodations for myself for the 2 month period. Daily meal allowance. $2,500 cash advance for miscellaneous expenses (bar tab)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bubb2; 04-03-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Are you already in the USVI or is that a single destination where you want to get this instruction? Plenty of sailing instructors down there. I'm also sure the Colgate Offshore Sailing School over in Tortola would customize for you.

Unless you are trying to time a vacation, you could belly up to any bar and ask the bartender for some recommendations. Odds are, the bartender themselves will be a sailing bum.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-03-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Instead of wasting your money on more lessons (which obviously has not worked), you might also consider two other choices:

1. Read book(s), and/or;

2. Grow a pair.

Sailing isn't exactly rocket science. Much of it is simple problem solving and common sense, with a little technical knowledge. A little courage helps, too. Look how useful your ASA 101 - 106 are - you still doubt your ability to sail. Stop looking for useless certifications and/or people who have useless certifications to lead you around by the nose and/or take advantage of your fear and self-doubt, and start teaching yourself.
Old 04-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I suspect the OP doesn't have a boat. James, you should let him borrow yours and try to remember what he learned 6 years ago and only practiced for a few months.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-03-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I have noticed two extremes on the listserv:

1. Totally ignorant newbies with excessive self-confidence and no realization of the dangers of sailing; and

2. Fearful, self-doubting, experienced sailors, who probably have all the knowledge they need, but lack the confidence to go out and solve problems, which is what most of sailing is about.

The first group needs some experience and common sense. The second group needs courage, not more lessons.

Unfortunately, there is a whole industry who preys on the second group with the idea that these ridiculous certifications somehow create good sailors. The best sailors in the history of the world did not take ASA 101 - 106, yet they did quite well by educating themselves.

If you read this listserv long enough, you realize that a lot of the folks here do not know any better than you do, and simple common sense and problem solving goes a long way, boat or no boat.
Old 04-03-2012

James, I get your point and dont disagree with our observations of extremes. Particularly, the virgin sailors that are fully committed to sailing around the globe.

However, I come from a different place on training. I believe it is the best way to accelerate one's competence, although, it must be used to be retained. I have thousands of hours in the cockpit and still fly with an instructor or examiner every six months or so. Some of the approaches I must be able to do are rarely assigned in real life, so refreshing is important. I've had engine failures, gear failures, electrical failures and others in real life, but thank goodness I've never had a fire. At least once per year, I train for a fire in a simulator.

There are many things in sailing that one may not actually experience for years, if ever. MOB recovery perhaps. Sure you could trial and error till you get it right, or fast track the process by having someone show you and you use it on your own later.

After six years, the OP's reassimilation would be substantially expedited with an instructor, then "grow a pair" and get out there and do it. One may be able to figure it out on their own, but that requires more than a pair, it requires much more time. Not to mention the awareness of what to train for.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 04-05-2012

jjaug17 is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed reading both perspectives on the two-extremes theory. I received most of my sailing experience BEFORE I even took the ASA 101 course, but found the courses useful in filling in the gaps. But by then, I no longer had access to a boat to practice.

I'm bareboating and frankly just want a day on the water with an instructor (as a good pilot would fly with a flight instructor once every 6 months, as was pointed out), just to ferret out my deficiencies and make sure I can actually perform when the charter company tests me. It's not a fear of skippering I have, but fear of going out with charter company and being told I need to hire a captain for the charter because I suck because I haven't touched a sailboat in 6 years.

Tags
instruction , instructor , refresher , st. thomas , usvi