First time ever from India-certification and sailing school advice!! - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PCP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012

shash_india is on a distinguished road
First time ever from India-certification and sailing school advice!!

Hello friends
M from India and this forum has inspired me to take sailing seriously!I discovered this place today and ance have already spent about 10 hours reading!
I have decided to learn sailing.

WHY?
I am 23 year old male looking to get married next year and i want to take my partner on a nice journey.Earlier i had thought of appointing professional crew for the same but now i have decided to Bareboat (still learning sailing jargons ) -that is -dispensing with the crew.

For that i realized i need atleast an ASA-104 certification.

Now i my questions are-

1.i have come to understand you need ASA-101 and ASA-103 certification as prerequisite for ASA 104..since i dont have dem what is the best alternative for me? I believe that there there is some exam to clear for the certification? If so its something we INDIANS are really good at.. Theory so can i see videos and learn and give the exam and obtain certification?

However i want to learn sailing and so intend to join some sailing course for ASA-104..Since we have no such schools in India and no good ones in Asia-i would need to travel to USA or Europe which m completely willing to do..
But can i start practical training directly from ASA104???

2.How recognized is ASA certification worldwide for charter? Is it recognizable enough to get charter in a USA,Europe and Australia?

3.I have been reading about mono vs motor etc..I think mono suits my needs..however i also see catamaran sailboats.Now, when i saw a few videos on youtube and pictures and stuff i saw that in the medium cats,there are jet motor boats for taking out to sea and things like that...Is that possible for medium sized monos also?

4.Lastly, on ASA-104 certification page,it says "30-50 foot boat sailing".Does that include catamarans also? Are there separate training for cats and monos in Sailing schools?
I read on the forum that learning cats makes it an easy switch to mono...

I will forever be grateful to any replies (being my first ever regards to sailing!)

How should i go about it? Can anybody plz help me get started..would really really appreciate it! And thnx so much for making me a part of this family!!!

Regards
Shashwat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: First time ever from India-certification and sailing school advice!!

Welcome
The ASA is just a set of certifications from the US, there are equivalents in different parts of the world so don't get too hung up on them. Charter companies will recognise equivalent certifications from CYA, RYA etc. As far as I am aware, there are no "theory-only" certificates (aside from the basic rules and regs type ones), they all involve getting out there and doing it. You can often get some of the certs on week-long cruise and learn type places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shash_india View Post
However i want to learn sailing and so intend to join some sailing course for ASA-104..Since we have no such schools in India and no good ones in Asia-i would need to travel to USA or Europe which m completely willing to do..

Regards
Shashwat
I am quite sure you have good sailing courses in Asia and even In India that is a huge country. Sailing is not something that you can take a course and learn it all.You take a basic course, you sail and learn, than take another one and sail more (and learn) and then take an advanced course.

One of the best are the RYA certified courses and for having the more advanced one you have already to have many hours of sailing and I do not mean the ones you have on the courses but the ones that you make on your own.

For chartering a boat on coastal waters you only need the more basic course.

I have searched some RYA certified courses in Asia and that includes some in India:

Where's My Nearest | RYA

WCMYSS

RYA sailing courses in Malaysia and Thailand

Sail in Asia - Yacht Charters, Event Management, Training Courses, STCW95, RYA Certification, Regattas, Delivery, Cruises.

Regards

Paulo
jameswilson29 and jimgo like this.

Last edited by PCP; 04-09-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2012

shash_india is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I am quite sure you have good sailing courses in Asia and even In India that is a huge country. Sailing is not something that you can take a course and learn it all.You take a basic course, you sail and learn, than take another one and sail more (and learn) and then take an advanced course.

One of the best are the RYA certified courses and for having the more advanced one you have already to have many hours of sailing and I do not mean the ones you have on the courses but the ones that you make on your own.

For chartering a boat on coastal waters you only need the more basic course.

I have searched some RYA certified courses in Asia and that includes some in India:

Where's My Nearest | RYA

WCMYSS

RYA sailing courses in Malaysia and Thailand

Sail in Asia - Yacht Charters, Event Management, Training Courses, STCW95, RYA Certification, Regattas, Delivery, Cruises.

Regards

Paulo

I just cant thank you enough...!!!!!!i never found any in india.. This place is a couple of hours by flight from where i live!!
Thanx soo much!!
I have contacted them already!!
Thnx again!

Ps:thanx to the above reply poster as well!!

Regards
Shashwat
Old 05-14-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Have fun and keep us posted about your sail course, maybe you will help others in the region

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.