SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Gemini 105 Catamaran - Is this the "right" craft??

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
Thought I would introduce myself; Dennis living in Apollo Beach Fla, near Tampa. With a empty dock outside:(

Lot's of power boat experience very little sail however did own a Pearson 28 for a while- way back when...

Really miss the short destination cruising overnights; long weekend kind of stuff. Don't miss the high cost of fuel and the noise of power boating.

Wife is open to the idea of sailing, since she really doesn't like fast anyway; but also doesn't like the heel of a monohull.

Solution seems to be a Cat; so my question to this esteemed crew is which Cat should it be; one we can learn on, but as the skills improve so would our ventures. Of course to ensure we will both enjoy this new sport/hobby, it wouldn't be prudent to spend a lot of monies until we really know what we want and how ultimately we will use her.

So your input would very much appreciated; and as mentioned on a previous post would love to find someone to train in the Tampa Bay area on our new what ever she will be Cat.

Keep the winds to your back;
Dennis & Lynda

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks FSMike for your input and response... I can't respond to a private message yet for some reason so I hope you see this....

I will check with the Gemini owners group to evaluate their experience; that said is there another craft you would recommend for my initial needs?

Best regards;
Dennis

#4 ·
Dennis, firstly welcome to SN!

Your wife might get used to heeling. We are three months into sailing and my wife is fine with it. Of course everyone is different, but we spent some time discussing the keel and righting effects before we started sailing and I think it helped. Of course if she is prone to motion sickness, that is another issue, but opening yourselves to the possibility of a monohull would open you to a wide selection of great boats. As Bubblehead would tell you, many of them are begging for an owner and you might be able to acquire the boats at a reasonable price. My two pence.

#5 ·
While boats like the Gemini have a range of virtues, if one of your goals is learning to sail well, cruising cats make a very poor platform for that purpose. The most ideal boats to learn to sail on are boats which provide a lot of feel and feedback. This helps by providing a novice with a wealth of information about what is happening and so helps them learn much more quickly. I understand that your wife does not like to heel, but heeling is but one important clue as to what is happening with the boat that flattens the learning curve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.