Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
ASA and clubs?

I have sent my $ to join a sailing club. It comes with a free class I will go to for new to sailing not the ASA classes. The club has some ASA classes 101 and so on and teachers for the class. I have spashed around some on my own. I do have fun. I turned the sunfish over today 15kt wind gust 25kn Once more this was fun for me. I could have done a better turn that time I guess ? I would just like some of you to give me some thoughts. I have been asking some distant family members That I would say are very good at sailing. Its kind of a split vote They say pick a path you like. They will not take a side. I would like to hear some thoughts Pro or con If you do not want the world to see your post make it a messeage to me. I will still make the choice Oh more about me I do not like to be yelled at so I do not think I want to crew on some race boat to get yelled at! Don't know anything about race boats or crews so that might not be a fair thing to say. It is just the rummers I hear. I have crossed Lake Erie a few times opb a long time ago! Now I live a long way from what I call water. I would still say I am a newbe small boats is all I know. I sank a home made hobie cat. Boats fault not me Lol. Had a force 5 snap the main sheet block a few miles out In lake Erie many years ago. We made it back with the boat. Ok enough now you know little about me but lets go Lay IT OUT WHY should I why should I not ???? ASA and club sailing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: ASA and clubs?

Paragraphs.
Old 04-16-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I'm not exactly sure what the question is.

Is it about you learning to sail?

Is it about joining a sail club?

It sounds almost like you are asking for permission or validation that you're making the right choices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-16-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

If you're asking if lessons are the way to go, then sure, they are. Try the club lesson since you're joining anyway, then see if the ASA 101 is for you (I teach the 101 down south, and it's a one-room schoolhouse, some haven't ever sailed, some have).

Don't feel bad you 'only know small boats", they're the best to learn on, the lessons learned apply to bigger boats, while vice-versa doesn't always apply.

Hope that helps some since I too am not sure what your ultimate question is.
Old 04-16-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

About 7 years ago I was on a day sail in Maine on a traditionally built "Pinky Schooner" the captain let me have the wheel for most of the day.. "Denise, Just call out, Ready about! then, when your ready, yell "coming about!" It was amazing to see 4-7 people just "go for it" and they really did know just what they were doing. the Yelling is to be heard.. not to hurt someone's ego or show off. but there are a few sailors out there that do feel Captain Bligh was too tame...
DRFerron likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 04-16-2012
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road

take the classes, they're fun.

you do some book larnin', then go sailing. not a bad way to spend a weekend or two, depending on the class.

most clubs will require that you pass various classes or test out of them in order to rent certain boats. if you want to rent the keelboats or larger you may need to take some classes.

sailing classes aren't a chore, they're sailing, go and have fun.
Old 04-16-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

If you're having fun and only intend on casual sailing, have fun.

If you plan to travel around and maybe charter a boat? You may be asked for proof of competency, and the ASA classes will be more widely recognized than "some club". That's not a stopper since you can always go for a checkout sail (at a cost of time or money) instead.
Old 04-16-2012
Semi-Pro

Springline is on a distinguished road

Lou, I'm in the same boat (metaphorically) as you. I wouldn't necessarily discard the option of signing up on a race boat. Not all skippers are shouty, but it may take a little asking around to find the more easygoing ones. And don't worry too much about the first race you show up to. Most skippers already have dedicated guys (and gals) for trimming, foredeck (spinnaker, sail changes etc.) and sometimes even helm. More often than not, the new guy gets used as weight on the rail, to try to reduce heel.
That said, even as rail meat, I learned an awful lot just by being around those guys, both just by listening, and peppering the trim guy and the skipper with questions once we were set up on a reach. So long as you move when the skipper says to do so, and how to do so, he isn't going to have much of a reason to yell at YOU, personally.
Anywho, sorry for the ramble. TL;DR version: I prefer cruising, but I've learned more about sailing in a few races than I have in an entire season of puttering about.
Lou452 likes this.
Old 04-16-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

SPRING! LOU! GRAB THOSE JIB SHEETS! CLOCKWISE AROUND THE WINCH! NO.. THE OTHER WAYS! lol OK, take it in..... nice.. watch the tell tales now... you WANT THEM STREAMING AFT!
SPRING! TAKE THE MAINSHEET AND TRAVELER! WHEN WE ROUND THE BOUY! YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO!
LOU! DON'T HOLD THE JIB SHEET WHEN IT FLIES! don't talk back! LOL. you'll burn your hands!

(now that wasn't so bad was it?)
Springline likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 04-16-2012
Semi-Pro

Springline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
SPRING! LOU! GRAB THOSE JIB SHEETS! CLOCKWISE AROUND THE WINCH! NO.. THE OTHER WAYS! lol OK, take it in..... nice.. watch the tell tales now... you WANT THEM STREAMING AFT!
SPRING! TAKE THE MAINSHEET AND TRAVELER! WHEN WE ROUND THE BOUY! YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO!
LOU! DON'T HOLD THE JIB SHEET WHEN IT FLIES! don't talk back! LOL. you'll burn your hands!

(now that wasn't so bad was it?)
Hence why I said rail meat, lol. All you have to worry about is figuring out why it's called the BOOM. And why sitting on the sheets is a really bad plan.