Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012

GoBlue is on a distinguished road
Pentagon / JWorld / Maryland / Chesapeake

Hi all,

New guy here; my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our first daysail with a captain on a 30-something foot boat on the Chesapeake a couple weeks ago. Now that we live a measly 25 miles from Annapolis, we'd love to explore this hobby further. We're the type of people who seek out quality instruction to "do it right" from the beginning...we'd rather not learn bad habits early & have to unlearn them later when we find out we're unsafe, naive, and incompetent. We've both been scuba diving for nearly 20 years and we've sought out the best instructors of our regions for each major new skill....I suppose we've just been trained that knowledge, safety, and redundancy goes a long way toward ultimate enjoyment.

I've been searching the forums & the web re: sailing instruction and have a few questions. I'd be eager to hear from anyone in the area. Many of the Annapolis-based schools have received great reviews on here, but many of those reviews are getting a bit dusty and I know that instructors move on. Having said that, some of these schools have such a long track-record of success that I can't imagine they'd take a nose-dive overnight.

Here is my current list of curiosities:

1) Anyone familiar with the Pentagon Sailing Club? I've seen several favorable posts, but all (?) from one person who is affilitated with the club, it seems. I'd love another opinion. Price is excellent, 4 days on water + classroom, boats to rent once competence is demonstrated.....all pluses in my book. Washington is a reasonable commute for me, so it'd be logistically do-able. I'd be looking at ASA 101.

2) I've read great things about JWorld. I've read that it appeals to the "technical" sailor and that they really excel at racing. Ultimately, we're looking to cruise (we have 5- and 6-yr-old daughters....the thought of moving some of our camping trips to the water sounds like a blast), but I've read some opinions that learning with a racing attitude can really teach the nitty gritty of sailing technique, which only seems like it would transfer to more relaxed cruising. My wife and I are the technical types (e.g., it took sitting down with vector diagrams after our sailing excursion for the "ah hah!" moment to hit re: points of sail); I don't know if this instruction style is unique to JWorld/racing or not.

I've seen some suggest that JWorld does not provide ASA or US Sailing certificates, but their website seems to indicate the the 3-weekend (6-day) or 5-day "Learn to Sail" course includes US Sailing Basic Keelboat testing. I'm under the impression that US Sailing vs. ASA is not a big deal; some refer to the former as more racing-oriented, others say that's not necessarily true. I'm not so worried about the certification agency unless you all have a reason for me to be; in diving, I carry certs from multiple agencies since I choose the best instructor for the job & take his/her agency along with it.....

3) Some refer to Maryland School of Sailing as one of the best schools on the Chesapeake. It's a reasonable distance from me as well. I'm a bit hesitant, however, that the best first experience for us would be to learn on a 35' yacht. Not saying we couldn't do it, but it seems that having something smaller and more maneuverable would help learn how the boat responds to the wind. Perhaps I'm totally naive, but I didn't learn to drive by getting behind the wheel of a bus.

4) Annapolis School of Sailing and Chesapeake Sailing School both seem to get good marks and have a long reputation of success. I don't have any questions about these specifically, but if you took classes at either I'd love to hear about your experience in a PM. Mostly, I'd be interested in hearing about your specific instructor.

Thanks in advance to anyone familiar with any of these operations. If you're hesitant to post info about specific instructors publicly, I understand; drop me a private message, please. If anyone has other recommendations for quality instruction in the area, I'm all ears.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Pentagon / JWorld / Maryland / Chesapeake

J/World.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Tags
annapolis , chesapeake , instruction , lessons , pentagon

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.