Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012

troyanthony94 is on a distinguished road
new to sailing buying a 27 Catalina

Well iv been sailing 1 time and tomorrow will make twice! Can i mention I'm also buying a boat on Sunday! A Catalina 27. I've read about sailing for 2 years and I live in the puget sound near point defiance park in Tacoma washington. So why not! I can afford it now and I'm young . 26 anyways! But my girlfriend and I have no sailing experience. We are going to be aggressive without trying to endanger ourselves and others but are eager to learn. The boat and marina seem great as well a the people we have met. I'm very nervous but in a good way. You can only read so right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: new to sailing buying a 27 Catalina

Oh to be young!
Congratulations on the boat. Have fun and be safe, it isn't rocket science but can be challenging, especially in tight quarters.

Used to go to Point Defiance back in the '80's when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, fun place to be young.
Old 04-18-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Congrats on the boat. Just leave yourself lots of room for error (mellow days at first, make sure the motor runs well, make sure the sheets are out of the water when you start the motor, wear your pfds, etc.) and you'll be fine.

I have a C27 myself. Great boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-18-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the impending boat purchase! A C27 is an excellent choice for a first boat...large enough to be comfortable and handle most conditions as you learn and explore....common enough for widely available parts...and not so large that everything costs major boat $$$$. Perfect choice.

Post up some pictures of your new2u boat....

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 04-18-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Good choice of boat. No reason you can't teach yourselves, but sometime in the process you might recruit an experienced sailor friend or maybe hire one of the local instructors for 3 hours, just to help you learn the right habits and recognize the wrong ones. They can give you tips on how tight to trim sails, "reading" the telltales, when/how to reef, anchoring, when you do/don't need that motor, where the rocks and shallows *aren't*, stuff like that..

Full disclosure--I teach part-time but way down south here so you're safe....;-)
Old 04-22-2012

MrIggleman is on a distinguished road

congrats on the boat! Take it easy to start off and I'm sure you'll do fine!
Old 04-23-2012
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

ASA 101, 103... great ideas.. but nothing wrong with learning as you go either, but the ASA101 and 103 eventually.. I've been sailing for 30+ years, and I still haven't done the courses, but I really want to! I never profess to be an expert, and I don't play one on TV, even if I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Just the same, congratulations on the new boat. Enjoy yourselves. Post pictures when you can. Take it easy, have fun, and make sure to come back here and rub it in, when you've had fun out there with it.
Old 04-23-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the boat!

The C27's are great boats. I'll second the suggestion to take a basic course together. We did and it helps to get you over that initial uncertainty.

Enjoy

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-26-2012

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road

If you are 40 or under and your boat engine is 15 hp or more you will need to get a Washington State Boaters Ed. Card. Even if you don't meet the "need the card" requirements it is a good idea to get one anyway. Many insurance companies like to see the card for new boaters. You can take the class online but I always recommend a person take a live class - you have a chance to ask questions in the class. Finding a class in Tacoma should not be too difficult. The class is taught by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and Power Squadron and other groups. Cost is not too much and the basic class is about 8 hours long. for classes by the CG Aux look at auxnorthwest.com.

Also ask around the local Yacht Clubs - sometimes they have classes in sailing.

Getting friends that are good sailors to go sailing with you is a time honored tradition. Keep in mind that not all good sailors are good teachers.
chuck53 likes this.
Old 05-30-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

But if you're going to have the boat in a couple of days, the online test is very easy. At 26, you need the card. I think they're up into 40 year olds at this point. Only people born before, what is it? 1956? won't need to test or posses a card in the end, so you might as well get it done and over with. For us, the insurance man liked that we went to the effort, but it didn't make a lick of difference in the rate.

Aside from all that, the south sound is a mellow place to learn to sail. There's a good deal of commercial traffic, and always be aware of tides/currents. Lot's of nice places to go for a quick overnighter from Tacoma too! Have fun and enjoy your boat!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.