Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Boat Sim

I need a boat simulator. Situation is my GF and I (Abu Dhabi, UAE) are very active in dragon boats. She has expressed interest in being a sweep (think helmsman) and has no idea which way a rudder/steering oar goes to make the boat do what she wants it to do. You can only simulate so much with paper and pencil on the dinner table. The boat is too big for one on one instruction and working with the crew during a practice is not totally out of the question but I think a little sim time will go a long way towards competence and confidence. Any ideas?

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 05-10-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2012

justflie is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Sim

I'm a newbie and am enjoying Sail Simulator 5. I bought it on Amazon through a download for about $30. Excellent program that got me through the cold, New England winter. oh, and it has a free demo you can download to try out. I don't bother with the multiplayer. I just sail around until I'm ready to sleep!

Last edited by justflie; 05-10-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

My wife is a 'steer' on a local cancer survivors' Dragon Boat team... as a long time sailor she had the concept down as far as tiller steering goes, but she was surprised to learn that Dragons are steered as much by the rotation angle of the steering oar as by rudder-like action.

Our local organization puts on several 'steering clinics' every year.. and all 'steers' have to be certified for regatta participation. Nothing like that in your area??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-10-2012
Oathkeepers member

Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Regretfully we do not have those clinics here, we don't even have drummers. I think I will go to a toy store, buy a plastic boat, install a chop stick with a paper clip and make pirate noises in the pool. Hopefully it is not as hard as teaching someone to fly....

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
Regretfully we do not have those clinics here, we don't even have drummers. I think I will go to a toy store, buy a plastic boat, install a chop stick with a paper clip and make pirate noises in the pool. Hopefully it is not as hard as teaching someone to fly....
hey, I used to be a helicopter CFI, it wasnt hard teaching people to fly, just hard signing off that first solo!
Old 05-10-2012
Oathkeepers member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
hey, I used to be a helicopter CFI, it wasnt hard teaching people to fly, just hard signing off that first solo!
You are right. I am a CFII and the hardest part was to act like the first solo was no big deal. Just walk away and hope you taught them all they needed on THAT flight.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Old 05-11-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

How about a Radio-Flyer wagon. Push her in it backwards. She holds the handle like a tiller.
Old 05-11-2012
SeŮor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

I know nothing about dragon boats, so forgive this if it makes no sense. Would you be able to illustrate the steering principles in a canoe ?
Old 05-11-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
I know nothing about dragon boats, so forgive this if it makes no sense. Would you be able to illustrate the steering principles in a canoe ?
That could work, esp if you took a regular dinghy oar (longer and more similar to a Dragon Boat sweep) and lashed it aft. Not really indicitave of the mass and length of a real dragon boat, of course.

As a sailor, though, one has to resist the tendency to use it as a tiller/rudder, and try to see how rotating the blade imparts the steering forces..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)