SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

chrysler 20 and lake erie??

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
hello just looking for info on if a chrysler 20 is capable to handle the waters of lake erie. I sail grand lake st mary''s in ohio with her and was wanting to go to bigger waters with her. Any lake erie sailors out there that could help?
thanks again for replying
jim

#2 ·
Livetosail68,
I used to sail my Hunter 18.5 on Lake Erie with few problems. At that time I sailed out of Geneva, Ohio, and it was fine. I now sail a Cape Dory 26 out of Sandusky, Ohio. I keep my boat at Battery Park Marina on Sandusky Bay. Believe me, there will be times when the lake is too rough for you to sail on -- e.g., when there are 5-7 foot waves on the lake. That is why I strongly suggest you consider an area such as Sandusky Bay. I live in Warren, Ohio, near the Pennsylvania border which is a two hour drive from Sandusky. But, I know that when I leave home I''ll be able to sail because even if the lake is too rough for smaller boats, or even larger boats, I can sail in the bay. Often, when I kept my smaller Hunter at Geneva, I''d drive the 45 minutes from my home only to find the wave action too great for my liking and I''d turn around and go home without sailing. That never happens in Sandusky. And yet, it is only a short sail to the Erie Islands -- e.g., Kelly''s Island is only about 8-10 miles away, and you can make that trip easily in your 20 footer. I used to do it often in my smaller Hunter. You can also go further and get to the Bass Islands and Put-in-Bay.
To answer your question, don''t hesitate to put your boat on Lake Erie. But, if you don''t want to be disappointed and find many days when the lake is too rough for you to sail, sail on Sandusky Bay -- best of both worlds, a sheltered bay large enough and varied enough for you to do whatever you want, and access to the best part of Lake Erie, the islands in the western basin.
If you have any more questions please ask them here or email me at waltzingmatilda@sailnet.net.
Fair winds and enjoy your boat wherever you sail.
Peter K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.