Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012

stegosaurus! is on a distinguished road
Re: I've never sailed in my life... talk me into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
...yet.
Haha I am 25 and have never had a sip of alcohol. I never will. I have other vices.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: I've never sailed in my life... talk me into it.

if you going to go looking for a boat to own, try this it has a lot of good info, How To Do your Own Marine Survey by a Marine Surveyor and if you get a boat read this as well Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com and make sure to learn this Need Butyl Tape ?? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com stuff, as per you own post your going to do it, i hope you like it and i hope you learn how to be safe on the water.

The above links are not my work and i take no credit for the content, they are the work of the owners.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

"Ouch!
My eyes are bleeding."
Bob Perry

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 06-01-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Jesus Donna, way to crush his enthusiasm.

Stego- Send me a PM. Come out to Annapolis sometime this week, or on a near-future weekend, and I'll take you and your "significant other" out for a day-sail.

We'll talk about the kind of sailing you think you want to do, maybe a little about your budget, and what kind of sailboats meet those criteria. Then you can bring that perspective to the forum and run it by some of the people here to get a broader spectrum of opinions.

Sailing is friggin' magical. Whether you race, day-sail or long-haul cruise, it's awesome. Someone earlier said "You'll love it or hate it". I agree with that. I love it, and I'm addicted. It's going on 3 years for me, and it's all I ever think about.

I visit my dock almost daily to check on the boat, sail, or just lounge on her, to put distance between myself and modern society's daily BS. The water is the only place that I really feel free.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-01-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Jesus Donna, way to crush his enthusiasm.

Someone has to be the voice of reason. After he finishes scrubbing away the previous owners' mistakes and dirt, THEN he can enjoy the sunset with his Shirley Temples.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-01-2012
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post

Someone has to be the voice of reason. After he finishes scrubbing away the previous owners' mistakes and dirt, THEN he can enjoy the sunset with his Shirley Temples.
Donna, you have the "man gene". You're far too logical at times.

There's nothing "reasonable" about owning a boat, especially a sailboat. It's a bad financial decision, even in the best economy. It's a drain on your time and wallet. It's a purely emotional decision, and an arcane skill with little value in landbound, modern society.

What sailing does give you, is empowerment, self-confidence, a sense of pride in learning a skill that relatively few people will do anymore. It calms the mind, it soothes the soul. It washes away the stress and mental dirt of shorebound life.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-01-2012
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Donna, you have the "man gene". You're far too logical at times.
Geeze, that threw me into a "boat fluff" moment. I think on some level I should be offended but I'm really not.

Quote:
There's nothing "reasonable" about owning a boat, especially a sailboat. It's a bad financial decision, even in the best economy. It's a drain on your time and wallet. It's a purely emotional decision, and an arcane skill with little value in landbound, modern society.
Oh, and I'm a buzzkill?

Quote:
What sailing does give you, is empowerment, self-confidence, a sense of pride in learning a skill that relatively few people will do anymore. It calms the mind, it soothes the soul. It washes away the stress and mental dirt of shorebound life.
Wait, you just said there's little value to sailing. Can't have it both ways, champ. I'd say all that is VERY valuable.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 06-01-2012

Woodvet is on a distinguished road

If you haven't heard the warnings by now there's no hope, you are likely stubburn enough to make a sailor.
I recall leaning down into a bielge to ask a senior boatwright if I should buy another boat he had refastened some years earlier. He gave me a sort of mixed grumbling review so asked again: "Are you saying I should walk away from it sir?"
He rolled out from beneath the companionway covered in black. "No, not at all." He added most calmly. "I'm saying you should *#*+ing RUN AWAY FROM IT!!!" He yelled in all earnest.
Old 06-01-2012
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Geeze, that threw me into a "boat fluff" moment. I think on some level I should be offended but I'm really not.

Oh, and I'm a buzzkill?

Wait, you just said there's little value to sailing. Can't have it both ways, champ. I'd say all that is VERY valuable.
"Man gene" is a compliment. Men love a level-headed, strong, intelligent woman. Well, I do...

The skill of sailing has little intrinsic value in landbound life... ie no one cares or is impressed that you can sail. In our society, it has more value to the self, as a character building exercise, and stress reliever. I suppose it does have value in teaching us to be self-reliant. We've often discussed how sailors have to be self-sufficient in making repairs, etc.

Ok fine, sailing does have value. That value is rarely acknowledged, however. Is that better?
DRFerron likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-01-2012
A mod and her dragon

Once you get through with the work and writing the checks, at the end of the day there's nothing finer than having fine food and your beverage of choice in a quiet anchorage watching the bald eagles soar above you and the rays play beside your hull as the sun sets.

But tranquility comes at a price. Whether it's the hours of learning in the classroom and on the boat or the cost of replacing all those things you thought for sure would hang in there one more year. For most people, sailing is a safe and fantastic pastime but you don't get something for nothing.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 06-01-2012

stegosaurus! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Stego- Send me a PM. Come out to Annapolis sometime this week, or on a near-future weekend, and I'll take you and your "significant other" out for a day-sail.

We'll talk about the kind of sailing you think you want to do, maybe a little about your budget, and what kind of sailboats meet those criteria.
I can't PM yet Bubble! I definitely want to take you up on that though... asap
I need to know if I like it enough to even take some courses. I'm usually pretty good at know what ill like and dislike, but this isn't like choosing food or a ride at a carnival. Thank you so much! PM me your email maybe?