Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: I've never sailed in my life... talk me into it.

Hey, don't let anyone talk you out of buying a little sloop and sailing around on it. Some cruisers that have the horror story's probably just aren't that good at it. A lot of them got in to the game late, after a life time in the 'burbs and didn't have an apparent aptitude for it. Now that they have passed a huge and expensive learning curve, they are so proud of them selves they don't think some other dude can come along and just do it. Buy a little sloop on a trailer, keep in your drive way. If the standing rigging is rusty and has broken stands, go to the store and buy some wire and terminal ends. I'm a rigger by trade and belive me, it's not rocket science. Get a little macgregor, it's cheap for the running and standing rig. The boat allready knows how to sail itself, go out on a protected lake or sound and pull on lines till the sails stop flapp'n and you start moving. Take a boating safety class and join a sail club. Do you actually think that there are thousands of people out there doing it but for some reason you can't? Ofcourse not. Get a little japanese out board to get you out of trouble. it's so easy it's stupid. And if you keep it simple it's not expensive.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-01-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Oh. and whatever you do, please don't enter the sailing community via the race crowd!! Having some dick wad in a blue fleece vest screaming at you to do something any self respecting sailor should be able to do them selves, and quietly, is likey to sour your experience and turn you a way from the whole thing.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-02-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
....... The boat allready knows how to sail itself, go out on a protected lake or sound and pull on lines till the sails stop flapp'n and you start moveing...................
That's funny all by itself... lol.
Capt.aaron likes this.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 06-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Ya, ya know, the boat is designed to sail, you start fiddl'n with stuff, it will tell you if you are doing something wrong or right. Once you get it going you could fall off and the thing will just sail right off with out you. Unfortunatly this actually happens from time to time. I stay strapped in when I'm off shore 100% of the time.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-01-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Really now, stego, you can't just run out and buy a sailboat the way you can buy a powerboat.

Sailing, more properly known as yachting, is an elitist sport and you have to be invited to participate. You'll need written letters of sponsorship from three respected sailors (for each of you) and be prepared to buy a round of drinks for everyone in the room when the committee discusses your sponsorship. While Topsiders are no longer required, you be expected to wear proper attire, as specified in the rule book.

Now, once you've been sponsored, you can show up at any sailing school and enroll for classes. You'll be given two chances to pass the exams, if you fail, your sponsorship will be cancelled and there is no pro-rated rebate on your membership dues. You'll have to wait a full two years before you can re-apply.

This may seem unfair, but really, it is the only way to keep the thronging masses from cluttering up the anchorages and putting wall-to-wall boats on the waters.

No, really... (VBG)

But I'd strongly suggest a US Power Squadrons or USCGAuxiliary boating safety class (usually ~$40 and one short day) which will get you an insurance discount on your boat and a quick introduction to safety, and to local boaters. Followed by a basic sailing class9es) because they'll bring you up to speed on how to "do it right" way faster than any other way. And again, introduce you to other local sailors.

Racing can be an exercise in TypeA personalities and the avoidance thereof, but it is also something every sailor should try. When you need bbq supplies and the supermarket in the next town is an hour away from closing, knowing how to get there quickly is a valuable skill. :-)
chef2sail and Capt.aaron like this.
Old 06-02-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Why sailing ?

Because it is one of the few sports activities that the entire family can participate in - a 80 year old Grandmother and her 6 year old granddaughter can enjoy sailing together.

Because there is a simple beauty of sunshine, wind, and water which can not be realized elsewhere

Because it can be thrilling and a challenge, we learn about ourselves each time we go sailing

Because it takes us into another world.

Because watch on watch off after after some days becomes a great way to live

Beacuse nothing can match the sensation of standing a 2 am - 6am night watch with the sound of the water and boat in harmony, the stars shining bright, and one of your friends dozing in the cockpit.

Because you get to see whales and dolphins up close, really close.
Old 06-02-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegosaurus! View Post
I can't PM yet Bubble! I definitely want to take you up on that though... asap
I need to know if I like it enough to even take some courses. I'm usually pretty good at know what ill like and dislike, but this isn't like choosing food or a ride at a carnival. Thank you so much! PM me your email maybe?
PM and email address sent.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-02-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Oh. and whatever you do, please don't enter the sailing community via the race crowd!! Having some dick wad in a blue fleece vest screaming at you to do something any self respecting sailor should be able to do them selves, and quietly, is likey to sour your experience and turn you a way from the whole thing.
Hey, I resemble that remark. (Except for the yelling)

I've gotten a few new arrivals to this forum into sailing by crewing for me. They seem to like it well enough.

Don't get me wrong, I love cruising too. It's one reason why I'm not winning more races- I can't seem to strip enough cruising crap off of my boat to lighten it up. I like using my fresh water system, my shore power system, my stove, my stereo, etc...
chef2sail and Capt.aaron like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-02-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark. (Except for the yelling)

I've gotten a few new arrivals to this forum into sailing by crewing for me. They seem to like it well enough.

Don't get me wrong, I love cruising too. It's one reason why I'm not winning more races- I can't seem to strip enough cruising crap off of my boat to lighten it up. I like using my fresh water system, my shore power system, my stove, my stereo, etc...
No offense intended. I have good friends who like to race. My 1965 Soverel 28' 9" ( origanally a y'all) racer cruiser has been in many. Just not with me on it. I was just suggesting that, all though one can learn the finer points of trim while racing, the general mood and dynamic aboard racing sail boats is,... well..., kind of sucky. I don't know that it would be a good intro. to the sailing world.
And why the navy blue fleece vest any way'? You know it's race week in K.W. when there is 1000 dudes in kahki shorts, navy blue fleece vest, and Ted Copple hair cuts walking around the docks.
Old 06-02-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

The best race race boat I ever sailed on was a beat up 30 footer.

On the last leg, we'd hoist the chute, one crew would go below and whip up some frozen drinks with a battery powered blender, the music would be turned on and life was good.

We even finished ahead of the occaisional boat.