SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I've never sailed in my life... talk me into it.

8K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  AncientTech 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I moved to the D.C. area about 2 yrs ago with my wife. A few months ago we we decided to stay here for the long haul and I began searching for boats (My wife's brother has a powerboat and I love going out on the Potomac).

After looking for a while I realized I wanted a sailboat more than a powerboat. I want a boat for cruising and grilling etc, hopefully building up to some decent length trips. I don't want a crappy used powerboat to just fly around and have no real fun.

Should I take a course at the local marina? What are your guys opinions for getting started?

#48 ·
Um. Well.

No, we did not name our boat. It came to us with the name. After doing some research we decided to keep it. I admit that I had not associated it with the end of the world. Thank you for that.

#49 ·
I sailed long ago and over the decades the feelings from those days never ever faded. It was always hard for me to describe to someone that had never sailed before until I viewed a short video in which the sailor spoke the phrase "Your life will never be as big as when you are sailing on a small boat". That stuck with me after hearing it and gave me a label to place on those feelings that never faded. The best course would be for you to take sailing class as others have suggested and see if your heart rings as you glide across the waves. After that if you can not go a day without thinking of it then time spent not sailing is time wasted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.