Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
Check Lists

Hey everyone,

It's been a minute since I've posted about my new 22 ft Catalina (well its a 1979, but new to me). I've had her dry docked at my boss' house in the middle of the desert, prepping her for her first splash, which should be soon.

I am looking for checklists, things to do pre-sail, during, and post sail. If any of you have a solid one, I would be interested in getting something so that i can be better prepared... thanks

Dube
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2012
Dufour 27 Newb

jaybeegee is on a distinguished road
Re: Check Lists

Here is quite an exhaustive checklist: Boating Checklists

or this one:Boat Checklist

Once you have a bit of experience you will need to customise a list before leaving port and I also find having a checklist for locking up is equally important.

GL!
Old 06-14-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Honestly, there's going to be a 'you just don't know what you don't know' until you go through the process a couple of times. A 22' boat won't be all that difficult once you've got your boat put back together and in the water. Check all the running and standing rigging, check out the conditions of sails in the yard or at a local park before you hoist them, winch handles, a handheld VHF, life jackets, etc... Sit down and make your list of 'to do's'. Chances are you'll be pretty close.

Once the boat is sorted out, we all develop our 'pre-game' depending on what the plan for the day/days/week, etc... will be. That might not help, but if you really aren't sure at all about what you need to make the transition between the car and getting on the boat and sailing, it'd be worth your time to take a few lessons to know a little more about what you don't know. I'm reluctant to say too much because we all do things differently. What I'm afraid is that you're going to get lists so long that you'll never sail, and when you do, the boat will sit about a foot lower in the water.
Old 06-14-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I have checklists for a number of different things. There is the overall checklist of things to remember to put aboard, including provisioning, and things to do before shoving off. This is really important when moving stuff from house to boat for extended trips. Equally important are lists on the boat: Steps to raising the mast without forgetting something like the Windex, a list of things to do and get when setting off single-handed and stuck at the wheel (aw sh^&t where's that rain gear), list of steps to deploy the sea anchor (should have attached that snatch block first), list of stuff that belongs in ditch bag, list of important radio frequencies and times posted by SSB. Having checklists, to me, is as necessary as those for airplanes. It is the little thing you forgot that will cause the major problem.
Old 06-15-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

For a trailerable :

Check drain plugs
Check drain plugs
Check drain plugs

Just kidding.

I made a pre-departure and post-arrival checklist in Word because I've changed it pretty much every time I sail. Even though I can remember to do things now, it's really handy to be able to hand a checklist to any new crew and they usually appreciate having something to follow.