Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012

Jimmy-D is on a distinguished road
Can I Take It Into The Ocean?

I just started sailing a few months ago. While I'm not ready to do any coastal cruising just yet, I would like to buy a boat that has the capability to do some offshore cruising. I was considering a Hunter 25. However, I was advised against it as the boat only had an 8 hp inboard diesel. Everyone who I asked said this engine was to small to take into the ocean. Are their any general
guidelines for assessing whether or not a boat and or engine is capable of coastal cruising?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I Take It Into The Ocean?

don't see why not I have a 33 foot boat and an 8hp inboard and it does about 6 kts. always sail and power in the ocean. 8 hp is plenty for a 25' boat. the max on that boat is 10 hp. the inboards are better for cruising because the prop stays under water even in big waves. the people you are talking to have no clue.
sawingknots likes this.

Last edited by overbored; 07-07-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

I am not trying to be funny or anything, but if you had your sailboat in the ocean, wouldn't you be sailing it? I ask this because most times you would worry about the power of your inboard or aux power to maneuver or navigate in channels and coastal waters, not in the wide open ocean. Why would you think or what was the reasoning of the person you asked for your 8hp engine not being sufficent?
Flybyknight likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!

Last edited by Cruiser2B; 07-07-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

As already stated: inboard engine is superior to transom mounted O/B on the ocean.

Pick your weather carefully at first as it can be a bit bouncy along the coast. Your Hunter 25 can probably handle more waves then you (or I) can.

Be safe but have fun.
sawingknots and DavidB.UK like this.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-08-2012

Jimmy-D is on a distinguished road
Can I Take It Into The Ocean?

Thanks for the helpful info. The people I spoke with said the boat wouldn't have enough power if I got into trouble in open water?
Old 07-08-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

They are wrong, the hunter 25 with a 8HP inboard is a capable boat. not really an ocean crosser but will handle coastal cruising as well as most 25 footers. anyone sailing offshore in a small sail boat must be aware of the weather conditions and plan accordingly. what coast are you sailing on?
Old 07-08-2012
Newbie Member

OldSteveH is on a distinguished road

Jimmy D there is a lot more to whether a boat is suitable for coastal sailing than just the engine. Your 8hp inboard is likely suitable for the boat, so the real question becomes - is the boat suitable for the kind of sailing you want to do? Starting the engine should be your last tactic not your first. Hence how the boat handles in bigger seas and strong winds, how easily can you shorten sail, can the helm be balanced, do you have the necessary safety gear.

I don't know Hunter 25s but my guess is its probably fine for coastal sailing so long as your own skills are suitable, and you understand the limits of both yourself and the boat. Regional knowledge is really important. You can go out and have a great day or a bad day depending on how you plan for weather and if you know the typical patterns eg shore effects on wind, local currents, wave fetches, etc.

Long and short, the engine is not the issue. Will it have enough power if you get into trouble in open water? For many years I sailed a 24 ft boat with a 9.9 Merc outboard. We did some crazy things in that boat and got into lots of trouble (and lived to tell about it). An inboard is more efficient than an outboard. 8hp should be plenty for that boat.

Cheers,

OldSteveH
Flybyknight likes this.
Old 07-08-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Jimmy, I have been on a Pearson-26 with a 9.9hp outboard, at full throttle and with full 150 genoa and main up, making zero forward progress in the water. This was not at sea but simply trying to enter the East River at the Hell Gate when circumstances forced a late departure into a contrary current, maybe 6 knots against us.

So when your friends say you don't have enough power...given a 2-3 knot current from the Gulf Stream or other flows, given adverse wind and wave action, sure, you might be reduced to a one or two knot crawl, under full power, or even less.

But that's the way of boats, sailing is usually not a "brute force conquers" sport. More importantly, if you don't know what the boat can do, and you don't know what conditions you may encounter, then I would say power doesn't matter, you're going someplace you shouldn't be. Yet.

Take some daysails out in progressively worse weather, get to know the boat and the open water, and you certainly can work up to it. Within the limits of the boat and crew.
Flybyknight likes this.
Old 07-08-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Read Shrimpy by Shane Acton it is around as a pdf file.

He circumnavigated with little previous experience in a 18 ft plywood boat mostly witout an engine [OB]

25 ft and a diesel inboard for coastal passages - the boat is up to the job.
Old 07-08-2012

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road

Don't tell Lin & Larry Pardey that their engine isn't large enough, their 26' Seraffyn only had a sculling oar. (one Larry power)
Loveatfirstsail likes this.